7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 12:34 PM by Jerrold Green1
103JMC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am trying to print only selected pages of a spreadsheet, but the cannot find out how to do it.  The print section does not seem to allow you to select pages to be printed

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)
  • Ferd II Level 7 Level 7 (24,030 points)

103JMC,

http://help.apple.com/numbers/mac/3.2/#/tan0f8a5f969 should help you get on the right track.

SmallWings.png

• t quinn Level 4 Level 4 (2,155 points)

Hi JMC,

Once you click print in the print preview page in Numbers 3 you will get a print dialogue that will let you choose which pages to print.

I don't beleive ther is a way to print just a portion of a spreadsheet page in Numbers.

What you can do as a workaround is to export your spreadsheet as a PDF and edit it in Preview.

In preveiw use the rectangular selection tool to choose what portion of your spreadsheet page to print and copy it to clipboard. then choose File>New From Clipboard. Print that.

hope this helps,

quinn

• 103JMC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for the info.  In addition, I was trying to find out how to print a portion of several lines and columns of a spreadsheet.  In Windows, you just had to highlight them and click on a button called "set print area."  I can't see to find anything like that in numbers.  Any ideas.  Thanks

Hi,

Re read this part:

I don't beleive ther is a way to print just a portion of a spreadsheet page in Numbers.

What you can do as a workaround is to export your spreadsheet as a PDF and edit it in Preview.

In preveiw use the rectangular selection tool to choose what portion of your spreadsheet page to print and copy it to clipboard. then choose File>New From Clipboard. Print that.

I think this addresses your question.

quinn

• 103JMC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you.  That does address it, but what a process.  Not sure how to address it with Apple, but that certainly needs to be changed.  Now I understand why so many business people that use Apple computers buy Microsoft office for Windows.  Looks like I may have to do the same.

Hi,

I want to encourage you to give apple feedback.

Under the Numbers menu item>Provide Numbers Feedback.

I am told one of the big differences between Excel and numbers is that Numbers ecourages many smaller tables while Excel promotes a large table with different active areas. My Excel experience is little and long ago. What I want to suggest is a more Numbers approach to your report table or for those sections that you wish to print on a regular basis.

Create a table that contains the data that you want to print on a regular basis, a "Summary" table. Cut and paste it on to its own tab. This will be easy to print and will not require even selecting a print area.

hope this helps.

quinn

• Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (29,905 points)

103JMC wrote:

Thank you. That does address it, but what a process.  Not sure how to address it with Apple, but that certainly needs to be changed.  Now I understand why so many business people that use Apple computers buy Microsoft office for Windows.  Looks like I may have to do the same.

It's not that bad. I agree with Quinn that adapting your design will help, but you can duplicate the Excel process with just a couple of extra keystrokes:

Select the Area to be Printed and Command-C to copy your print area to the Clipboard.

Switch to Preview.app and Command-N to create a PDF document containing your selection.

Command-P to Print.

It takes only a matter of seconds and the result is nearly identical to what you would get with Excel. If Preview is already running, you can Command-Tab to it to make the app switch. If it is not running you can launch it from the Dock, or use my favorite way, Spotlight. To launch an app from Spotlight, without taking your fingers off the keys, type Command-Spacebar, pre, and hit Return.

Give it a try and you may forget about this difference between Excel and Numbers.

Jerry