Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto 11 problem with showing up some photos

I have iphoto 11 ver 9.4.3

In some events photos aren't showing up but are showed as greyed border like this pic.1

User uploaded file

when i try to open these photos for example P1080528 it shows me pic2.

User uploaded file

the photos are in the master folder but if i try to quick Look them it shows me that pic3.

User uploaded file

and if i try to open it with preview it shows message in pic4

User uploaded file

The whole matter occurred after disk defragmentation with Tech Tools pro 7 or Drive Genius 3, I don't remember which of them i used to the disk that iLibrary exists.

There are many photos in this situation and my oldest Time machine Backup contains the same problematic jpegs so I can't use it to go back.I've used StellarPhoenixJpegRepair trial version to repair some of those jpeg files in Masters folder but it didn't manage to repair them.

Also disk warrior reports that "Detected that the resource header is damaged and cannot be repaired!"

What has happened and how can i solve this problem. what else can I do?

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 11:18 AM

7 replies

Jul 26, 2014 8:25 PM in response to civil engineering

These are your options:

1. Restore the iPhoto library from the most recent backup that predates the issue.

Advantages: Always works, if library damage is causing the problem and the backup is intact.

Disadvantages: Impossible if you don't have a backup. All changes made since the backup are lost.

2. Repair or rebuild the library. Be sure to back it up first.

Advantages: May solve the problem with no loss of data.

Disadvantages: May fail. May take a long time if the library is large.

3. Scavenge the library with a third-party application called "iPhoto Library Manager," which you can find in a web search. From the application's menu bar (not the iPhoto menu bar), select Library Rebuild.

Advantages: All images should be preserved.

Disadvantages: All books, calendars, and slideshows will be lost.

Jul 26, 2014 9:52 PM in response to civil engineering

thank you Link

options 1 and 2 have already failed to solve the problem

option3: I have iPLM and I think that I have tried to rebuild the Library but not solved the problem.

this moment I am searching the recovered photos folder and trying to see which photos exist in my events, so i delete them from recovered photos folder.

If you say so, as soon as i finish that job, i will try again option3 just to be sure about what happens and tell you.

Jul 28, 2014 3:25 AM in response to Yer_Man

I did option 3 and during the proccess I had many errors for files that couldn't be read, so they wheren't transfered to the new library.

It took me the whole morning yesterday to make the rebuilt with iPLM beacuse I had to press ok every time it displayed the error for not being able to read "faulty map source files". Obviously these files didnt transfered to new library.

So now I have two problems:

1) find the faulty jpgs

2) repair the faulty jpgs

or

decide to stay with new Library which contents about 400-500 photos less (the total photos are about 24.000)

For the first problem I have in mind two options:

a) use diffmerge.app to compare the Masters in old Library and the new one and then go with Finder into each unequal folder to find the faulty jpgs or

b) find them manually myself by using finder to search every folder in Masters....

both of them are time consuming...😟

Is there any other easier way to compare the old and new Masters folders and find the faulty jpgs?

For the second problem I 've already used StellarPhoenixJpegRepair trial version to repair some of those jpeg files in Masters folder but it didn't manage to repair them.

Is there any other utility to do this job?

I have to mention that I used a recovery software and recovered jpgs from my backup disk (where iLibrary was backed up) but I only managed to find 2 jpgs in good condition and replaced them in Masters Folder.

Same problem occurs with some mov files too.

Any ideas for problems 1 & 2 ?😕

iphoto 11 problem with showing up some photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.