Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure for a remote TM backup?

Hi,

I have TM working in my home office but there are times that I have to spend extended periods away, I would like to know how I can configure my equipment and network to allow me to access the TM backup when not actually on my home LAN.

Ben

Time Capsule-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 4:00 PM

That's not possible with Time Machine. If you have Time Machine preferences turned on then when your computer is not connected to the backup drive, Time Machine will make backup snapshots that are saved on the computer.

About Time Machine local snapshots

2 replies

Jul 26, 2014 4:01 PM in response to Byocky

Apple used to say don't do it.. for some reason they deleted that part of the original icloud BTMM instructions.. I think you will find TM simply won't work.. but if you do setup iCloud and BTMM to get access to the TM backups.. let me encourage you.. DON'T DO IT!!

TM doesn't just backup.. it runs indexing and checks the backup.. it is highly interactive with its backup doing scans and comparing files.. What will happen.. and this is 100% certain.. is one day some part of the internet will drop out half way through the backup.. and TM backup will corrupt. What will then happen is most likely the next time you attempt a backup on site you will get a message saying.

Time Machine must create a new backup for you.. see http://pondini.org/TM/C13.html

When you are on the move.. TM will do local snapshots.. or you should carry a 2.5" disk for local backups when away. Don't do remote TM.

Save important files directly to the cloud is fine.

How to configure for a remote TM backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.