Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't delete messages

I have an iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1.2)

Recently I've been trying to delete iMessage threads because they contain a year to a couple months worth of text messages. Initially the thread disappears, but I think it causes the Messaging app to crash because when I open it I see an empty inbox, and I don't receive messages people send. I tried restarting my phone and everything goes back to normal. All my threads appear in my messages including the ones I tried deleting and i receive messages people sent previously only after I restart my phone. This has been happening every time I try to delete text threads and I'm not sure how to make it stop happening

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 4:25 PM

2 replies

Jul 28, 2014 6:30 AM in response to kat_seen

Hi kat_seen,

Since this is not normal behavior, and you have already tried resetting / restarting the iPhone, at this point I would suggest doing a restore of the iPhone. See the directions in this article -

iOS: How to back up your data and set up your device as a new device

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

iPhone 5 won't delete messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.