Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer iPod classic iTunes files that have been edited to new PC

Hello all,

New to forum. Here is my situation:

Have an iPod classic and just upgraded my PC from Windows XP to Windows 7. My old iTunes has about 1900 songs on it. About half of those files/songs have been edited in some way via the Get Info>Options tab when I right click on the song. I have either changed the start time or the stop time or both. I also have multiple playlists.

I have been searching for how to transfer everything over to my new PC as is. I did find this page that I tried to do:

How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

I tried this but I am not sure if I did it correctly. It says your playlists would be copied over but they did not. The songs did copy over and so did the album artwork. I am hoping somebody knows a way that I could still keep the edited iTunes versions of these songs and not have to edit them again. I still have the original files that I downloaded before they came over to iTunes, but they are the raw files and unchanged. It just doesn't look like there is a way to save files directly from iTunes. I also tried exporting library but that just saves as a text file.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 12:54 PM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2014 4:20 AM in response to 31phantom

What would have worked was to copy the entire iTunes folder from the old computer to the new one. This brings over all playlists, ratings, play counts, and even start & stop times. This data lives in the iTunes Library.itl file. When done properly you open iTunes and you see the library exactly as it was before. If you imported content to a new library then you didn't get it right. Do you still have a copy of the .itl file from the before the upgrade? If not I have scripts that can extract playlists and stats from an iPod. I might be able to tweak the stats script to retrieve the start & stop times for you.

tt2

Jul 29, 2014 11:11 AM in response to 31phantom

It should just be a case of copying the iTunes folder from the user's music folder on the old computer into the user's music folder on the new one.

Migrate an iTunes library from one computer to another

These are two possible approaches that will normally work to move an existing library to a new computer.

Method 1

1. Backup the library with this User Tip.
  2. Deauthorize the old computer if you no longer want to access protected content on it.
  3. Restore the backup to your new computer using the same tool used to back it up.
  4. Keep your backup up-to-date in future.

Method 2

Connect the two computers to the same network. Share your <User's Music> folder from the old computer and copy the entire iTunes library folder into the <User's Music> folder on the new one. Again, deauthorize the old computer if no longer required.

Both methods should give the new computer a working clone of the library that was on the old one. As far as iTunes is concerned this is still the "home" library for your devices so you shouldn't have any issues with iTunes wanting to erase and reload.

I'd normally recommend method 1 since it establishes an ongoing backup for your library.

Note if you have iOS devices and haven't moved your contacts and calendar items across then you should create one dummy entry of each in your new profile and iTunes should merge the existing data from the device.

If your media folder has been split out from the main iTunes folder you may need to do some preparatory work to make it easier to move. See Make a split library portable.

Should you be in the unfortunate position where you are no longer able to access your original library or a backup then then see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for advice on how to set up your devices with a new library with the maximum preservation of data.

tt2

Transfer iPod classic iTunes files that have been edited to new PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.