Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i store my photos on icloud instead of my mac

I would like to send all my photos to the cloud to free up storage on my macbook air. Can I do this? How do I do this? 😕

MacBook Air, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 1:22 PM

5 replies

Jul 27, 2014 1:46 PM in response to gumpo

You can't use photo stream to do that. If you were to add your photos to photo stream, then delete the originals from your iPhoto library, you would still be left with the photo stream copies of your photos on your Mac. If you then were to also delete the photo stream photos, they would also be deleted from iCloud and you would lose them altogether.

If you want to free up space on your Mac by deleting your photos, upload them to an image hosting service such a Flickr. This will allow you to access them on the web without having them stored on your Mac.

Jul 27, 2014 2:21 PM in response to rajeewapeiris

Forgot to mention one thing , Unlike iPad / iPhone iOS devices Macbook computers takes actual GB amount from the hard drive. If You transfer all the pictures to iCloud and delete the Originally synced Photos will be deleted.

Try other options like Dropbox... (After transferring the files to dropbox)

GO TO >> Settings >> Preferences >> Account & click >> Unlink this Dropbox

Then You can delete the Pictures and free up space on mac..by using softwares like CleanMymac , MacCleaner You can maintain the system very well by deleteing unwanted log files and temporary files.

Jul 27, 2014 3:03 PM in response to gumpo

No. The iCloud is not for storing files of any kind from the Mac. The fill lowing if from this Apple document: iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

What iCloud backs up

You have important information on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iCloud automatically backs up your device over Wi-Fi every day while it’s turned on, locked, and connected to a power source. With your device information backed up in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device or restore information on one you already have.

Here’s what iCloud backs up:

• Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and booksYour iCloud backup includes information about the content you have purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren’t downloaded automatically in all countries, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store. For more information, see the Apple Support article iTunes in the Cloud availability by country. Some types of content aren’t available in all countries. For more information, see the Apple Support article Which types of items can I buy in my country?.
  • Photos and videos in your Camera Roll
  • Device settings
  • App data
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail

This will change somewhat with the release of Yosemite and the iCloud Drive. But currently what you need to do is enable a local backup strategy to an HD connected directly to your Mac. There is no cloud backup available that can support an iPhoto Library package. Regular files, yes but not iPhoto or Aperture libraries.

User uploaded file

can i store my photos on icloud instead of my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.