Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp - Setup was unable to create a new system partition

I'm getting this problem installing windows 7 via bootcamp on the macbook pro retina 13 using an usb drive. I looked up solutions online, and they involved unplugging other usb ports or moving the usb drive from one port to the other. I don't have any other usb drives connected when doing the windows installation, and I tried moving the usb drive with windows setup from one port to the other, but I'm still getting this error message. Are there any other solutions to the problem? Do I have a problem with the USB drive?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 2:00 PM

2 replies

Jul 30, 2014 10:29 AM in response to pharotek

Hi Pharotek,

I had the same issue, trying to install Windows 7 on my new iMac yesterday and this morning. I couldn't ever get it to work in any configuration of usb port plugging 😟 but I read a lot of those suggestions too. Ultimately, I borrowed an external dvd drive and burned the Windows 7 iso to a dvd. Booting from the external dvd did the trick. To summarize, so hopefully I help others with this terribly-frustrating problem:

• Use the Bootcamp Assistant to remove any half-finished windows partition (that should be checking the last checkbox only, to "remove").
  • Plug in an external dvd drive with a Windows 7 install disk. (Use the Disk Utility to burn the ISO to the DVD if needed.)
  • Plug in a USB thumb drive, which we will use to hold the Apple support files.

Because order seems to matter, on my iMac with 4 usb ports at the back, facing the back of the iMac from right to left I had: external DVD drive, thumb drive, blank, apple keyboard w/ non-apple mouse plugged into keyboard.

• Use Bootcamp Assistant:
    • uncheck option one (we don't need to copy the iso to the thumb drive, since we're using dvd)
    • check option two (we do want to copy the support files to the thumb drive)
    • check option three (we do want to install Windows! 🙂)
    • During the install process, if you've been booting from USB thumb drive, you'll likely get a message about making the thumb not bootable. Yes, we want to make the USB thumb drive not bootable now, as we are booting from the DVD and just using the thumb for support files.
  • Now the installation should work. Select the bootcamp partition, choose advanced, choose to format the BOOTCAMP partition as usual.
  • Dance around the office (optional.)

I believe the core issue is a unhappy melding of USB 3.0 issues and having a bootable USB thumb drive be the source of installation.

My external DVD drive was an Apple USB SuperDrive.

Boot Camp - Setup was unable to create a new system partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.