Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not update numbers? It says installed and yet when I open a spreadsheet I have not worked on for a little while it will not open.

When I wanted to open a spreadsheet on my Mac I had not opened for some time it asked me to update numbers in order to do so. Followed the prompts and when I got to the App store it said it was installed and would not let me update in any way.

Many thanks

Meggsy88

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 3:26 PM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2014 5:33 PM in response to meggsy88

It's also possible that you have the latest version of Numbers on your Mac, in your main Applications folder, but you are inadvertently trying to open the document with the older version of Numbers, located in a subfolder named iWork '09. Any icons you have on your Dock may still be pointing to the old version.

SG

Jul 28, 2014 2:58 AM in response to meggsy88

Hi Meggsy,

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip for working with the old and new versions of iWork.

Need newer version of Numbers to open file

The trick is to drag icons for both versions to your Dock. Right click or control click on each and Options > Keep in Dock. That puts you in charge of which version you launch.

Here is a screen shot of both Numbers icons on my Dock.

Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09) on the left with a three column graph.

Numbers 3.2 on the right with a four column graph.

User uploaded file

Both versions will run happily together. Just be sure which version is opening your document.

Instead of double clicking the document, run whichever version of Numbers/Pages/Keynote suits and use File > Open.

Regards,

Ian.

Why can I not update numbers? It says installed and yet when I open a spreadsheet I have not worked on for a little while it will not open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.