Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

login keychain baffles all "genius" bar workers in Vancouver!

Okay, so my laptop is still popping up login keychain errors. Now every time I open my Macbook Pro (running on OSX 10.9.4) I have to re-enter my login password for the internet. This is not the only time I get a popup, it is also asking for my admin password for many other reasons.

I have been to the Apple Store in Vancouver twice and they "think" it is fixed, but the problem persists.

I have checked other posts on this issue and tried to find some solution to no avail.

It all started while I was working in Photoshop when it had a kernel panic (screen went grey) . The system was diagnosed at the Apple Store and I was told that there were no problems with the video card (which was the first possibility). It seemed to be fixed, but by the time I got home I was getting popups again

(Google Chrome wants to use the "login" keychain, just popped up as I typed this).

Anyone smarter than a Genius Bar employee?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 7:06 PM

10 replies

Jul 27, 2014 7:13 PM in response to barbhav

Did you ever change your admin password? See if anything here is helpful:

Tutorial: Resolving Keychain Issues

If you can't access your keychain, or forget your password If you can't get into your keychain file because you've forgotten your password or the keychain file appears to be corrupt, there are a couple of options.

First, if you've forgotten your password, you can use the "Keychain First Aid" utility to make the keychain password the same as the login password. This can be accomplished via the following process:

1. Open Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)

2. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Preferences"

3. Click the "First Aid" tab

4. Make sure the "Synchronize login keychain password" box is checked

5. Close the Preferences window

6. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Keychain First Aid"

7. Enter your username and password

8. Click the "Repair" button

The second option is to completely delete your keychain then recreate it. This routine is useful if your keychain appears to be corrupt or otherwise inaccessible. This can be accomplished as follows:

1. Launch Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)

2. Click "Show Keychains" in the lower-left corner of the window.

3. Select the problematic keychain from the left-hand pane.

4. Navigate to the "File" menu and select "Delete Keychain '(name of keychain)'"

5. Check all options for deletion and press "OK"

6. Create a new keychain by going to the "File" menu, then "New" and selecting

"New Keychain"

7. You can now make this keychain your default if you desire by selecting it, then

going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make '(name of keychain)' Default"

Login as root and perform repair In some cases, problems with keychains can only be resolved when logged in as the root user.

First, you want to enable the root user:

1. OS X Mountain Lion: Enable and disable the root user

2. OS X Lion: Enable and disable the root user

3. Mac OS X 10.6: Enabling the root user

4. Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

After enabling the root user, and logging in under this account, again open Keychain Access. First attempt repairs using Keychain First Aid, and failing that, delete then recreate the keychain as described above while logged in as root.

Persistently asked for stored passwords If you are persistently asked for passwords in various applications that you have specified should be remembered in a keychain, your "login" keychain may not be active for one reason or another.

Navigate to ~/Library/Keychains/ (this is the Library folder inside your user's home folder). Find the file named "login.keychain" and double-click it.

Failing that, select the "login" keychain within the Keychain Access application and make sure it is the default keychain by going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make 'Login' Default"

Turn off Keychain synchronization in applications having problems If specific applications are experiencing issues when accessing password-protected material, the Keychain may be to blame.

The above comes from an article published on MacFixit.com.

The login keychain uses the same password as your admin password that you use with your user account. When you log into the computer and enter the admin password, it is then used to open your keychain. Sometimes changing your admin password doesn't get picked up in the keychain requiring that your repair the keychain. That's the first thing outlined in the above tutorial.

If you need to try changing your password:

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

Jul 27, 2014 8:26 PM in response to Kappy

The "genius" bar employee did reset the admin password and did the "first Aid" repair on it (there were no problems detected).

He also deleted the keychain as well.

Maybe I'll have to backup the computer and completely reset it!

I'll try the genius bar in Ottawa when I get home next week. I'll request a senior "genius"!

thanks for your reply Kappy.

Jul 27, 2014 8:34 PM in response to barbhav

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore is not, in itself, a solution.

First, empty the Trash, if possible.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) 2>&- | wc -l | pbcopy

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be a number. It's automatically copied to the Clipboard. Please paste it into a reply.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Jul 27, 2014 10:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your advice!

I did get to my name with a $ sign at the end, (It did get to that very quickly).

I was good up to this point " The output of the command will be a number .... Is this the number I get when I hit command V? In this case 279

I pasted 279 into the window and it said "command not found"

Did I miss something?

Thanks again Linc Davis!

Jul 27, 2014 10:40 PM in response to barbhav

Some of your user files (not system files) have incorrect permissions or are locked. This procedure will unlock those files and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Back up all data.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -N {} + -type d -exec chmod +x {} + 2>&-

This time you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Aug 29, 2015 9:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

I am having a similar problem and upon running your command from the terminal I got 19.

This problem started when I somehow forgot my password and then had to enter into safe-mode

to reset it, but keychain access is still asking for the password which I can't seem to remember.

I don't need anything from keychain access, but I just want the popups to stop 🙂

Could you possibly help ? Thanks.

James

login keychain baffles all "genius" bar workers in Vancouver!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.