Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto stopped recognizing my iPhoto library, and it will not let me click open when I find the library in my files. Suggestions?

I have seen similar questions--mostly from 4-6 years ago--but none are quite the same as mine. I tried to export a photo from the web to iPhoto for editing and received a message stating, "Which photo library do you want iPhoto to use? To open, iPhoto needs a photo library. Select a library from the list, find another library on your computer, or create a new library that you can import photos to later. The same photo library will be used the next time you open iPhoto." Below this is a empty box. Below the box there are three buttons: [Other Library...] [Create New...][Choose]. Since the box is empty the [Choose] button is grayed out. If I click [Other Library...] I can go to Pictures->iPhoto Library. I can highlight iPhoto Library by clicking on it, but nothing happens when I click Open at the bottom of the window or if I double click iPhoto Library itself.

I only have a handful pictures on this machine--MacBook Air, OS X 10.9.4, 96 GB memory free--so I could create a new library without much pain, but I hesitate to since I don't know what caused the problem in the first place. Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 7:18 PM

1 reply

Jul 27, 2014 9:54 PM in response to dherring76

These are your options:

1. Restore the iPhoto library from the most recent backup that predates the issue.

Advantages: Always works, if library damage is causing the problem and the backup is intact.

Disadvantages: Impossible if you don't have a backup. All changes made since the backup are lost.

2. Repair or rebuild the library. Be sure to back it up first.

Advantages: May solve the problem with no loss of data.

Disadvantages: May fail. May take a long time if the library is large.

3. Scavenge the library with a third-party application called "iPhoto Library Manager," which you can find in a web search. From the application's menu bar (not the iPhoto menu bar), select Library Rebuild.

Advantages: All images should be preserved.

Disadvantages: All books, calendars, and slideshows will be lost.

iPhoto stopped recognizing my iPhoto library, and it will not let me click open when I find the library in my files. Suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.