Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moved media folder to public, Playlist disappeared

Per the iTunes: How to share music between different user accounts on a single computer.

I followed the instructions on how to share the music folder for Microsoft. Prior to moving, 2 iPhones were synced prior to the one PC, but under 2 different Users on the computer. Once I completed the move to a public User file, I followed the instructions given for iTunes under Preferences, Advanced, etc. Now the Playlist that was designed in the folder is gone.

I don't know if it's good or bad, but the iPhones have not been re-synced since the move. there was no mention that playlists would be lost. Is there an easy fix for this? I'm not familiar w/Microsoft, it's my parents equipment and I was "helping" them out or so I thought.

What will happen when I hook up the iPhone to iTunes now that the folder has moved since the last sync? Will iTunes sync the "lost" playlist that is on the iPhone? How can I get the playlist back?

Any help, especially step by step, is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 10:48 PM

7 replies

Jul 28, 2014 11:00 AM in response to DREAZ

It should just be a case of copying the iTunes folder from the user's music folder on the old computer into the user's music folder on the new one.

Migrate an iTunes library from one computer to another

These are two possible approaches that will normally work to move an existing library to a new computer.

Method 1

1. Backup the library with this User Tip.
  2. Deauthorize the old computer if you no longer want to access protected content on it.
  3. Restore the backup to your new computer using the same tool used to back it up.
  4. Keep your backup up-to-date in future.

Method 2

Connect the two computers to the same network. Share your <User's Music> folder from the old computer and copy the entire iTunes library folder into the <User's Music> folder on the new one. Again, deauthorize the old computer if no longer required.

Both methods should give the new computer a working clone of the library that was on the old one. As far as iTunes is concerned this is still the "home" library for your devices so you shouldn't have any issues with iTunes wanting to erase and reload.

I'd normally recommend method 1 since it establishes an ongoing backup for your library.

Note if you have iOS devices and haven't moved your contacts and calendar items across then you should create one dummy entry of each in your new profile and iTunes should merge the existing data from the device.

If your media folder has been split out from the main iTunes folder you may need to do some preparatory work to make it easier to move. See Make a split library portable.

Should you be in the unfortunate position where you are no longer able to access your original library or a backup then then see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for advice on how to set up your devices with a new library with the maximum preservation of data.

tt2

Jul 28, 2014 12:25 PM in response to turingtest2

Hey Tt2,

I appreciate your help. Here's the situation: my parents have 1 computer & two new iphones. I was told to set up 2 user accounts on their PC, then followdd the Apple instructions for "sharing music between 2 pc user accounts. My dad had music on his user. I established a user account for my mom so her itunes is separate, but bogh are on same computer. I moved the iTunes media folder as instructed by itunes. Then in iTunes, Advanced settings and located the public user folder & hit ok. When the folder was moved to a publicfolder it removed my dads playlist. Now mind you neither phone has been resent to the iTunes since the move. Both iPhones have the original folder location that they were to. Is it possible to acquire his playlist from his phone?

In other words when he connects his iPhone on his user account, will iTunes acquire the playlist that is on his iPhone but no longer on the computer? Im trying to avoid going thru his phone and manually choosing the songs on iTunes to recreate that playlist.

Jul 28, 2014 12:53 PM in response to DREAZ

Sorry, it seems I confused your question with a "moving between computers" one I was answering earlier. 😊

Playlists are held in the database file iTunes Library.itl

Changing the media folder location tells iTunes where to put new media not which database to open.

If you move the database from the default location and start iTunes normally iTunes will create a new empty database for you.

I suspect you moved the complete iTunes folder which would include the library database. If so you should be able to press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes and browse to the iTunes folder in the public music folder. Alternatively you can copy back the library files (see the last link below.)

If you have to recover the playlists from the iPhones see my user tip Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device. There are a couple of scripts mentioned near the end one of which can recover playlists into a new (to the iPhone) library.

Are you trying to merge two separate libraries back into one, or was the intention to have them share a common media folder? There are likely to be problems if there is overlapping content as edits/updates to one library won't automatically happen to the other. If you family used a common profile for other tasks then syncing with selected playlists might have been a better approach.

For some background on the anatomy of an iTunes library and how to safely move bits of it about see Make a split library portable. It might help you see what you have done in order to reverse it, or at least make sure you're better prepared for next time.

tt2

Jul 28, 2014 1:14 PM in response to turingtest2

Hey TT2,

No worries, I figured that happened. I saw you were quite savvy re: iTunes, so I was hoping you would respond.

I followed this to the T: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203

Which asks that I move solely the iTunes media, nothing else. I moved it to "\Users\Public\Public" as instructed, no other iTunes folder was touched. These instructions then asked I go into iTunes, Advanced and locate the media folder's new location, then to make sure copy files is not selected so I don't have multiple and press okay. I did. I played a couple songs, all is good. I then switched Users on the computer and opened my mom's iTunes. I "added a folder" as instructed and Voila, my dad's music is now in w/my mom's on her iTunes.

Now all the music is there, on both computer User accounts as I planned. The only thing that changed is my dad's Playlist are gone. They didn't move.

The iPhones were synced before the folder location was changed, so my dad's playlist is on his iPhone, just not in iTunes anymore.

So bottom line, I wasn't aware if I moved the media folder, playlists would not follow. So now I'm trying to find out how I can get that playlist back, from his iPhone, that was synced PRIOR to the move.

Jul 28, 2014 1:47 PM in response to DREAZ

Got you.

Open iTunes and then go to Edit > Preferences > Devices and make sure that there is a tick against Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically. This should allow you to connect the iPhone with no adverse effects. You should then be able to useImportDevicePlaylists to import the playlists from your dad's iPhone into the active library. You can also import the stats with SyncStats.

Should there be any overlap with the two collections see one of my deduping posts.

tt2

Moved media folder to public, Playlist disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.