Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple user question

Hello I am fairly new to the whole mac experience. I have a macbook air that I share with my girlfriend as our one and only computer.

In the past we have always had just one account and therefor shared itunes photos etc.

Now we want to have different accounts as she has her work email, calendar and contacts. And I have my personal email, contacts etc.

We still want to share the same pictures, music, documents etc. but want to have seperate logins is there away to do this. As I said I am fairly new to mac's and am not the most savy computer user so the easier I can do this the better. Thanks everyone for your time and help.

Take care

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 10:33 PM

5 replies

Jul 27, 2014 10:37 PM in response to m.isaak

Put the files you want shared in the /Users/Shared/ folder; if needed, use the Go to Folder command in the Finder’s Go menu to navigate there.

If you’ll be sharing an iTunes library, launch iTunes with the Option key held down and specify one in that folder.

If you’ll be sharing an iPhoto library, click here.

(110075)

Jul 27, 2014 10:49 PM in response to Niel

thanks niel for the speedy response. I understand the idea but when I go to finder it looks like I have an "internal" server for shared accounts called michael-pc now when I go that the file on both mine and my girlfriends accounts neither if can login it says connection failed.

what am i doing wrong???

Jul 28, 2014 11:11 AM in response to m.isaak

To give other users read-only access to your iTunes library, use the Sharing features of iTunes. Sharing works over the local network as well as on the same computer by means of fast user switching. See the built-in help for details.

To give others selective access to your iPhoto library, you have the option of using Shared Photo Streams in iCloud, if the privacy implications don't bother you. The images will be stored temporarily on Apple servers.

If you want to give full read/write access to more than one user, see the support articles linked below.

iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

multiple user question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.