Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC mini intel 1.6 not booting

Hi Team,

Is there anyone who can help me?

I have got MAC mini Intel 1.6 CPU and 1GB RAM version which had 10.4.11 operating system running since last week.

For some reason it has stopped working.

I dont have the OS disks with me at this point of time and also i think my CD drive is not working well.

Any suggestion,how can i load the operating system on my MAC mini through USB or etc? also from where can i get the operating system?

Regards,

dhruv

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel 1.6Ghx 1 GB RAM version

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 5:01 AM

17 replies

Jul 28, 2014 6:14 AM in response to Dhruv Darji

If you can use a USB and format is as Mac OS Extended (journaled) and put a recovery HD on it, you can try booting it via USB.

See this link - OS X: About Recovery Disk Assistant

You can also see if Safe Mode or Verbose Mode boots can narrow down your problems Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs.

Do your display and mouse work and is there any activity when you boot the Mini?

Jul 28, 2014 6:57 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the response.

But Can you please let me know how i would be putting the media on USB stick? I don't have any recovery disk partition on my MAC as i am aware so how i would be able to get the OS on my USB stick?

Yes, keyboard,mouse and display all work well when i boot.

Kindly note, what i did this afternoon is,

- one of my friend had a MAC OS Boot mounted on USB stick which is i think is mavericks.

- I connected that USB to my mac mini and then pressed the command button so i could see that USB stick in there.

- Next i tried to install the operating system from there but its not compatible with my mac mini so didn't allowed me but at least i could see the screen now and all the disk utility options !!!

Regards,

Dhruv

Jul 29, 2014 2:51 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, I can boot from that USB which has a new Operating system ( i think Mavericks or posisbly Mountain Lion - not sure). Once i boot, i can see the internal disk well too.

I erased that internal disk fully and

I have tried to restore that internal disk from the another USB (on which i had copied the MAC OS Tiger.DMG - downloaded from Web) But still when i restart my MAC, it still boot from USB (having mavericks/mountain lion), instead of my internal disk (on which i was able to see Tiger OS files are restored from another USB)

Regards,

Dhruv

Jul 29, 2014 3:25 AM in response to Dhruv Darji

What model Min i do you have?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini

How to identify Mac mini models

From the 1.6 GHz speed I think you have a 2006 model (Macmini1.1) and thos can only go as high as Snow Leopard.

You can purchase a Snow Leopard install disk

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

and then get a USB DVD and boot from it. I have not seen how to make a bootable USB stick for Snow Leopard, for Lion and later yes.I wouod recommending maxing out the RAM. the 1.1/2006 can take 2 GB of RAM.

Jul 29, 2014 4:17 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks Mate.

1.What means by Tiger has an APM format Disk? do i need to format that internal drive something differently prior to restoring Tiger OS from USB to that internal Drive?

2. I did tried pressing the Command / Alt key while boot up but still it didnt shown me the internal disk which had Tiger OS restored. Didnt tried this after removal of the Mavericks USB. Will try that this evening and keep you posted.

Regards,

Jul 29, 2014 5:11 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

I have downloaded the Tiger.DMG from the Web though my Windows comupter Which comes in DVD format (around 4 GB) . I copied that DMG on my USB stick. > Plugged that USB onto my MAC mini (which is already booted through Maverick OS USB Stick and giving me the Disk Utility).

I have then selected the internal hard drive partition and then restored that partition through that Tiger.DMG.(which is on USB Stick).

After that i can see the various files copied over to my internal disk but using those files it dosn't get boot On Tiger OS through that internal Disk...What to do next . any suggestion?

Regards,

Jul 29, 2014 7:56 AM in response to Dhruv Darji

If you have two USB flash drives connected, one Mavericks and one Tiger, then while booted with Mavericks, via DU, restore Tiger DMG to the second USB. Shutdown the machine, remove the Mavericks USB, and power up the machine and choose to boot from the Tiger USB and install Tiger (the Tiger .dmg should be the installation CD/DVD image) to the internal drive.

MAC mini intel 1.6 not booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.