Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore to factory settings

I am selling my Early 2008 White MacBook that I purchased from an online vendor about a year ago. Unfortunately it did not come with any disks; however, I upgraded the OS to Lion and have that disk. The problem I am running into it that once I did the "Option plus Restart" and cleaned the disk off, it restarted and prompts me to do 1 of 4 things.

1) restore from Time Machine backup (don't know what that means)

2) Re-install Mac OS X

- Set up and Install a new copy of Lion

3) Get Help Online

4) Disk Utility

I chose Option 2 and it has literally been 3 days and it is stuck saying I have over 100 hours left. I am selling this today and have no idea how to fix this and get it back to working.

Thanks in advance,

Misty

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 7:10 AM

15 replies

Jul 28, 2014 7:14 AM in response to mistyv007

You will be unlikely to get this finished today, especially as you seem to be doing it wrong. You can only sell the Mac with the OS X version it came with (10.5 or 6), and you can only install from either the original disks or a Snow Leopard retail disc (which you must give to the buyer).

It will take time to get the disc, today will not be possible. You can order the disc at this link. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Jul 28, 2014 8:51 AM in response to Csound1

Really?! It didn't?! That is sooo funny because I DO have a LION OS X disc. I ordered it from Apple and it is in my laptop at this moment...so make sure you know your facts 100% before saying something. And his advice fixed my problem WITH Lion so hopefully this will help you in the future should you have to respond to a similar question.

Jul 28, 2014 10:03 AM in response to Csound1

I do not currently have a smart phone to take a picture with. Besides, my point is not to prove myself right but rather that I came on here for help with a question and while your reply WAS helpful (thank you) there was unnecessary condescension in it with telling me I was obviously doing It wrong then again in the following reply where you put down the Apple rep, again unnecessarily. Just rude all around and no apology for it but I guess that is just how you are or maybe you didn't think you were being that way. Anyhow, thanks for your time and take care!

Jul 28, 2014 11:04 AM in response to mistyv007

To prepare it for sale, even to someone in your family, you should follow these instructions.

You will absolutely, positively, require its original System Install DVD, or an equivalent replacement from Apple. The consequence of attempting to circumvent this requirement will be a justifiably displeased buyer - that happens to be you, as you are just now determining. The market value of a Mac lacking its original installation media, if such media was required, will be significantly reduced without it.

Refer to What to do before selling or giving away your Mac

1. If you enabled FileVault, disable it in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
  2. "Deauthorize" your iTunes account. Same for Audible if you have one.
  3. System Preferences > iCloud > de-select "Back to My Mac" and "Find my Mac".
  4. Sign out of iCloud. Select "Delete from Mac" when it appears.

Next: Remove all your personal information by completely erasing the Mac's internal storage.

1. If your Mac shipped with a grey System Install DVD, start your Mac with that disc inserted in the optical drive while holding the c key to boot from it instead of its internal volume, which should be erased before selling it.
  2. If your Mac did not ship with discs, boot OS X Internet Recovery:
    • using three fingers press and hold the following keys: ⌘(command), option, and R.
    • With a fourth finger press the power button to turn on the Mac.
    • Keep the other three fingers where they are until you see the "spinning globe" icon.
    • This method forces the Mac to download its originally installed OS from Apple's servers, which will not require an Apple ID to install.
  3. Remove any Open Firmware password if you created one: select Firmware Password Utility from the Utilities menu and remove it.
  4. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
  5. Remove any partitions you may have created.
  6. Select the Mac's hard disk icon, then select the "Erase" tab.
  7. Select the "Security Options" button and erase the disk.
    • The more "securely" you erase the disk, the longer it will take.
    • The fastest method is sufficient since all but the most expensive techniques and equipment will be able to recover securely erased data.
  8. When it finishes, quit Disk Utility.
  9. Select Install Mac OS X from the Utilities menu.
    • An Apple ID will not be required. If a prompt for an Apple ID appears, return to Step 6.
    • Do not create any user accounts.
  10. When it finishes, shut down the computer.
  11. If you want to install the bundled apps that were included with your Mac, restart by using your Applications DVD if one was included, and install the bundled apps.

Apps bundled with newer Macs that shipped without discs cannot be transferred. Its new owner must purchase them from the Mac App Store using his or her own Apple ID.

If the Mac is being sold to someone outside the family consider the following additional information:

1. System Install DVDs that came with your Mac should remain with it forever, and must be included with the sale.
  2. Consider including your AppleCare certificate if you bought it, printed documentation, even the box if you still have it.

AppleCare stays with the equipment and is transferable.

3. Execute a bill of sale showing the Mac's serial number.
  4. Once no longer in your possession, remove the Mac from your devices in My Support Profile.

Jul 28, 2014 12:06 PM in response to mistyv007

Yes. Call the number that appears in your Apple Online Store, ask for sales, and explain that you need a replacement System Install CD (or DVD) for your MacBook. The most difficult part will finding the person who understands what it is you need. When you are finally asked for your MacBook's serial number, you're almost done.

Determine its serial number here:

MacBook: How to find the serial number

You will also need a credit card. The fee is reasonable ($25 or so).

Jul 28, 2014 2:10 PM in response to mistyv007

Curious, about the information on the Mac OS X 10.7 install-restore DVD

you said an Apple representative provided you with; it may shed some

light on an area where no discs are said to exist, at least not publicly.

There should be a number code series on the DVD in the left side, w/ date

and OS X version, with part number. Could you provide that info, please?

This question of restoring Lion to those Macs whose last possible upgrade

was Lion 10.7.5 has almost always deferred to the rare USB boot version

on Apple supplied flash-memory, or a download from the Mac App store

once the computer was upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8; then online.

User uploaded file

from http://mactracker.ca database Lion OS X 10.7 info

I don't doubt you somehow arrived at Lion 10.7 and the DVD is possible; yet

it was not available as such in a public release, perhaps only as tech version.

However the usual path for Macs that can run Lion, has been Snow Leopard DVD

10.6 and upgrade via Combo update v1.1 download 10.6.8 from software update.

Thank you for an interesting discussion.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited

Sep 24, 2014 2:54 PM in response to K Shaffer

This was a great thread, thank you Mr. Galt, for that level of detail. I'm patiently waiting for my Intel T2700 CPU to get here from the PostMan and I plan on upgrading a MiniMac1,1 2006 this week. However, now that I'm equipped with more information on the workings of the OS X, after this upgrade I will be focusing my efforts to get my iMac 2009 *finally* installed properly (I got it from eBay) and man has it been an on and off hassle for YEARS ...now I know why.

There is NOTHING more frustrating then having a machine that works fricken unbelievable after a reinstall, (thus have a base line to compare)....and then watch it decay into a muddling mass of bogged down console errors and the what not. I must have reinstalled the OS X a dozen times on this machine only to watch it return to a finicky problem child.

Just stopping by to say thanks, and also brag a bit ... I enjoy the fact I have a "RARE" Apple article ..... :-)

User uploaded file User uploaded file

restore to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.