Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete google drive

I can seem to completely uninstall google drive on my macbook Mac OS X 10.6.8. Processor 2.4 GHz INtel Core 2 Duo. Memory 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

I have already tried the instructions found on the google website as follows:

1. Click the Google Drive icon, which you’ll find in your computer's menubar at the top of the screen.
  2. From the drop-down menu, select Preferences.
  3. When the Google Drive Preferences window opens, choose Disconnect account.
  4. After you've confirmed disconnecting your account, open the Applications folder and move the Google Drive icon to your trash.

Step 1-3 worked but I can't get step 4 to work and still have a folder and icon on my computer. How do I completely uninstall google drive folder and icon?

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 5:12 PM

What happens when you try drag Google Drive to the Trash? Do you get an error message?

If the icon is still in the Menu bar select Preferences and/or Settings. Make sure everything is unchecked for sync.

Try booting in Safe Boot mode and see if you can drag app to the trash now?

Safe boot

* shutdown

* start the Mac and *wait* for the startup chime to sound

* after the sound, press and hold down the shift key

* keep holding and *wait* until the grey  Apple logo appears

* now release the shift key and just wait (it could take a few minutes)

* eventually the login screen appears with the words SAFE BOOT

* continue login

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2014 5:12 PM in response to kimberley51

What happens when you try drag Google Drive to the Trash? Do you get an error message?

If the icon is still in the Menu bar select Preferences and/or Settings. Make sure everything is unchecked for sync.

Try booting in Safe Boot mode and see if you can drag app to the trash now?

Safe boot

* shutdown

* start the Mac and *wait* for the startup chime to sound

* after the sound, press and hold down the shift key

* keep holding and *wait* until the grey  Apple logo appears

* now release the shift key and just wait (it could take a few minutes)

* eventually the login screen appears with the words SAFE BOOT

* continue login

Jul 29, 2014 7:53 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi:

I was able to follow and successfully complete all steps from the google help website, they were:

1. Click the Google Drive icon, which you’ll find in your computer's menubar at the top of the screen.
  2. From the drop-down menu, select Preferences.
  3. When the Google Drive Preferences window opens, choose Disconnect account.
  4. After you've confirmed disconnecting your account, open the Applications folder and move the Google Drive icon to your trash.

After you've uninstalled Google Drive for your Mac/PC, the Google Drive folder – including the files and folders it contains – will remain on your computer. At this point, you can delete your Google Drive folder and its contents without deleting anything in your Google Drive on the web.

I have three additional questions as follows:

Even though I now have the google application and folder in my trash I can still see a Google Drive application and folder in Finder under places.

1) Why do these still appear in this location if they are also in trash?

When I click on the Google Drive icon in places I get the message " You can’t open the application “Google Drive” because it’s in the Trash." "To open this application move it from trash"

2) How do I delete the Google Drive and folder from my Finder/places?

Also and even though I have disconnected and deleted Google Drive/folder I notice that my battery is running down very quickly. I first noticed this when I download Google Drive.

3) Could Google Drive still be running from my trash? And would this be why my battery is running down so quickly?

Thank you for your help with these additional questions

Jul 29, 2014 10:37 AM in response to kimberley51

Even though I now have the google application and folder in my trash I can still see a Google Drive application and folder in Finder under places.

1) Why do these still appear in this location if they are also in trash?

When I click on the Google Drive icon in places I get the message " You can’t open the application “Google Drive” because it’s in the Trash." "To open this application move it from trash"

Items you see in the sidebar under Places are aliases. The Finder still sees it in the Trash, but as you see it will not run from the Trash.

2) How do I delete the Google Drive and folder from my Finder/places?

Control-Click (Right-click) and select Remove from Sidebar.

User uploaded file

Also and even though I have disconnected and deleted Google Drive/folder I notice that my battery is running down very quickly. I first noticed this when I download Google Drive.

3) Could Google Drive still be running from my trash? And would this be why my battery is running down so quickly?

You could check in Activity Monitor to see if anything connected to Google Drive is still using CPU or go ahead and delete it then check. It could be a coincident that the battery issue came up at the same time.

delete google drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.