Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Record changing values by date into different cells

I have a Numbers spreadsheet that calculates target values of investments over time on a month by month basis .

How do I automatically copy those periodic values to another cell in order to preserve those calculated values. I have a formula in a certain cell which calculates those values monthly so for example: Jan calculated to 10, Feb 15, Mar 20. I would like to write those periodic values to say a row and preserve the values in order to produce a graph of Calculated vs. Actual.

How the heck do I do this? Can anyone help?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 11:50 AM

Hi Ernie,

The thing about spreadsheets is that the formulas keep updating themselves as the data they reference changes. You can freeze the values with a Copy / Paste Results (formerly Paste Values). That eliminates the formulas and effectively turns the cells into data rather than calculations. If you are clever about how you arrange these cells, you can Copy and Paste them as a group, to their "final resting place".

For completeness, it should be noted that an Applescript could be triggered with a Keyboard Shortcut to provide some automation, but you have to weigh the added complexity against the time it would take to do the simple task manually.

Jerry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2014 11:50 AM in response to ernie222

Hi Ernie,

The thing about spreadsheets is that the formulas keep updating themselves as the data they reference changes. You can freeze the values with a Copy / Paste Results (formerly Paste Values). That eliminates the formulas and effectively turns the cells into data rather than calculations. If you are clever about how you arrange these cells, you can Copy and Paste them as a group, to their "final resting place".

For completeness, it should be noted that an Applescript could be triggered with a Keyboard Shortcut to provide some automation, but you have to weigh the added complexity against the time it would take to do the simple task manually.

Jerry

Record changing values by date into different cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.