Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G3 getting very bad signal when near the router

Hi my iBook G3 has been giving me problems. when i'm next to my server which is an iBook G4 that has an ethernet cable going to it because it gets the internet off the wire and sends a unsecure connection for my 802.11.b iBook G3. which it gets about 1-2 bars when it is about 3 feet away. I've tried unplugging the antenna and taking out the card then blowing the contacts on the G3's contacts in the computer and card. Can this be a problem with the G3 or the G4? Sorry for writing a book for the question.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 9:28 AM

3 feet within range of the router for wireless interference is about right. You have to remember signals go out all directions causing overlapping interference near the router. If you are within 150 feet/450 meters of civilization, I strongly recommend an 802.11g or better WiFi ethernet bridge. That way you can secure your connection, and ensure you have faster speeds. The G4 of course only supports 802.11g. Most newer Macs support 802.11n as well. 802.11g is the oldest that supports WPA2 encryption which is industry standard.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2014 9:28 AM in response to DylUsesMac

3 feet within range of the router for wireless interference is about right. You have to remember signals go out all directions causing overlapping interference near the router. If you are within 150 feet/450 meters of civilization, I strongly recommend an 802.11g or better WiFi ethernet bridge. That way you can secure your connection, and ensure you have faster speeds. The G4 of course only supports 802.11g. Most newer Macs support 802.11n as well. 802.11g is the oldest that supports WPA2 encryption which is industry standard.

iBook G3 getting very bad signal when near the router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.