Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro Gets Hot Is This Normal??

hey there so im new to the macs and have never owned one before i just bought this macbook just a few days ago its the 15 inch late 2013 model ill post the specs below

• 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
  • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
  • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    with 2GB GDDR5 memory

my problem is that it gets warm now it gets warm during just normal use itll get warm and when i use programs like logic pro or photohop it gets very warm right above the keyboard and im just worried that there is a problem??

wondering if anyone else has this issue??

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 10:02 AM

That does not sound like a problem, you are feeling where the cpu and gpu reside. The MacBook Pro uses two ways of removing processor excess heat - the aluminum case and the fans. The case is a great heat sink, but with heavy duty processor loads needs help and then the fans start increasing speed as needed to keep up. If the heat load gets too much the processor starts to run back the clock speed.

The processor temperature limit is very high, well above 100 degrees so unless your MBP is too hot to touch you are fine. Gamers complain about this regularly because they are imposing a REALLY high heat load from the cpu and discrete gpu.

So, the question becomes, do you hear the fans running fast? If not, you are not even hot enough to load up the fans.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2014 10:02 AM in response to codyrsmith

That does not sound like a problem, you are feeling where the cpu and gpu reside. The MacBook Pro uses two ways of removing processor excess heat - the aluminum case and the fans. The case is a great heat sink, but with heavy duty processor loads needs help and then the fans start increasing speed as needed to keep up. If the heat load gets too much the processor starts to run back the clock speed.

The processor temperature limit is very high, well above 100 degrees so unless your MBP is too hot to touch you are fine. Gamers complain about this regularly because they are imposing a REALLY high heat load from the cpu and discrete gpu.

So, the question becomes, do you hear the fans running fast? If not, you are not even hot enough to load up the fans.

Jul 28, 2014 10:06 AM in response to codyrsmith

Yeah, my MacBook, albeit a couple of years older but still with an earlier version of the i7 processor, gets pretty hot when pushing it with Photoshop, Logic or Final Cut.

It isn't a particular problem unless it starts affecting performance - the harder your processor is working, the more heat it will start to kick out. On top of this, if you use a separate monitor or a graphics intensive app, the discrete graphics GPU (NVIDIA Chip) is also going to be adding to that heat.

**Adding to this** As Summer has decided to finally hit Britain, I have opted to buy a cooling platform to sit my MacBook on, it just gives a little boost to the cooling so the fans of my laptop don't have to work quite as hard. Seems to be making a significant bit of difference!

Jul 28, 2014 12:46 PM in response to JaiJethani

I bought a Belkin CoolSpot Anywhere. Seems to pretty good so far - quiet, cool, discreet. Has helped stop my Mac from ramping its own fans full up all the time during the hot weather. USB cable is a little short (I wanted to plug it into a Hub rather than direct into my Macbook), but apart from that, I'm quite happy with it. At the very least the lead can tuck into the unit in the case you need to take it with you elsewhere 😀

Jul 29, 2014 11:10 AM in response to codyrsmith

i am surprised that you would have a problem like that if you just bought a new computer. I'd go to the apple store and ask them. maybe, the programs you run are too much for that type of computer. I have an old macbook pro laptop 2009 with a very similar problem. ever since switching to mavericks the computer runs hot and the fan goes to max making a lot of noise. whenever i have my computer on these days; i run the activity monitor to monitor processes. i've seen some process hogs: ManagedClients that spawn 15 instances. And Google Helper.

My Macbook Pro Gets Hot Is This Normal??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.