Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rotate data in a table cell

How does one rotate data, such as a word, in a table. I'm trying to get a word to rotate 90 degrees and I've got nothing.

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mac Newbie

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 11:51 AM

11 replies

Oct 2, 2014 9:04 PM in response to Richard Potter

When I want text rotated in a cell, this is how I do a workaround:

I type the word I want to rotate in the cell.

Then using the shortcut keys command+shift+4, I get a cross-hair cursor and use it to highlight the word as closely as possible.

When the mouse is released, a "picture" is taken of the work, which is put on the desktop.

Then open the screen shot with Preview and use this program to rotate the image. Then save it.

Then go back to the table where I want the rotated text and drag the image from my desktop to the cell where I want it.

This puts the word in the cell as if it were a picture and therefore, when the table is moved, the rotated word stays with the table.

This works for me, I hope you find it useful.

User uploaded file

mswint

Oct 3, 2014 4:51 AM in response to Listen Inn

Hi Listen Inn,

Thanks for the tip. I had a play and found the Image Fill has a white background. It would be nice if the image matched the cell fill (I prefer Headers to have Colour Window > Crayons > Mercury as the fill to remind me they are headers).

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think about Freeze Header Columns or Freeze Header Rows sliding the text boxes.

Hi SG,

We need your expertise!

Can we put on our thinking caps and find a way to match the image fill to the cell fill? It would make a nice addition to the User Tip (with acknowledgements to all contributors 🙂).

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 3, 2014 5:16 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

Can we put on our thinking caps and find a way to match the image fill to the cell fill?

The latest script in your user tip currently places the text box on the header cell and turns the text in the cell to the background color of the cell.

Do you get acceptable results when you take a screenshot of the cell and then paste that in as an image (after moving the text box out of the way)? That screenshot should have the same background color as the cell.

If the results aren't acceptable that way (maybe a little fuzzy?) then removing all background fill in the image should work (I'm not an expert on manipulating images, but understand that is possible).

SG

Oct 10, 2014 6:56 AM in response to Listen Inn

Hi again, Listen Inn,

Another reply to this topic rotate/ flip text button unavailable! has prompted me to get into action and try your idea about enlarging the Text Boxes before taking screen shots.

I must be doing something wrong. Here is my latest attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2xv2qwlag1apm8r/AADgl8vJvVdBDjRuzOT9x49oa?dl=0

Everything works until the last step (paste the screen shot as an image background in a cell). I did use Scale to Fit

All suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Ian.

rotate data in a table cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.