Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changes made in Numbers not being saved on iPad.

For a while, I thought I was the one with the problem. Periodically I make changes and updates to various spreadsheets in Numbers on my iPad (3) and often when I reopen a file, the changes no longer exist. In some cases entire sections that I have deleted re-appear. Other times, new data that I entered no longer appears. This has been happening not only on the current iOS7 (7.1.2) but in the two prior releases as well. Since probably 90-98% of people will make a financial decision based on their spreadsheet, whether it is for budget, savings, investments, etc, this could be very damaging. I will now have to go back to using MS Office, as Numbers, which I otherwise like, can not be trusted. Further, I do not believe I'm the only one that has this problem, and I'm also certain that Apple knows about it. I am requesting comments and feedback. For some reason (memory management) an old image is being retained and displayed, or the changed file was never stored.

Thanks

Bob in PA

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 8:45 AM

I started using Numbers for iPad as an easy way to collect very small reports (from bus drivers -- I work at a school) on a daily basis. I used numbers because it was so easy to create the table, and then generate a form. It worked perfectly the first year (I believe 2014/2015...) But lately I have had the same issue with data disappearing. On a given morning, for example, a staff member might collect 8 reports, and then when we go to transfer them to iTunes (we CANNOT use wireless, so there IS NO cloud-syncing issue happening here), the last two entries are simply not there. We ARE on older iPads (iPad 2, I believe), but we have the latest version of Numbers available for that iPad version. And we have tried this on two different iPads, with the same disappointing result.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2017 8:45 AM in response to PAgrampa

I started using Numbers for iPad as an easy way to collect very small reports (from bus drivers -- I work at a school) on a daily basis. I used numbers because it was so easy to create the table, and then generate a form. It worked perfectly the first year (I believe 2014/2015...) But lately I have had the same issue with data disappearing. On a given morning, for example, a staff member might collect 8 reports, and then when we go to transfer them to iTunes (we CANNOT use wireless, so there IS NO cloud-syncing issue happening here), the last two entries are simply not there. We ARE on older iPads (iPad 2, I believe), but we have the latest version of Numbers available for that iPad version. And we have tried this on two different iPads, with the same disappointing result.

Jul 29, 2014 8:53 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I am using numbers exclusively on my iPad (3rd gen). Problem is the buffer size. If I make a few changes, I'm ok. If I make a large number of changes, the system can't handle it. Went to the Apple store last night and the rep suggested Apple.com/feedback so I left a note there. Also tried to call but was disconnected several times. Nice. I'm going to use Excel on my Mac Mini or get a PC. Apple wanted $19+ for me to report the problem with THEIR software. Really? I would happily give them a programming solution, but they have too many layers and walls to the moat that they keep between them and customers.

Thanks for the reply and also T Quinn anyway.

Sep 8, 2014 9:10 AM in response to PAgrampa

I have just lost 5 solid hours of detailed spreadsheet work in Numbers for iPad (iPad 2 with IOS 7.1.2). Then I noticed that another spreadsheet that I had completed last week is no longer complete - all of my entries from my last work session on that other spreadsheet have also simply disappeared! There is 16.8GB of storage space still available on my 64GB iPad, so it isn't a capacity issue. As work is saved to local storage as it occurs, I have to assume that my locally saved work has been overwritten on both occasions by iCloud. Perhaps I have yet to discover other instances of this - I dread to think!!! I was working offline whilst updating the Numbers spreadsheets, so the overwrite must have occurred as soon as I went online and iCloud automatically kicked in. I simply can no longer trust Apple. I will have to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro immediately and get back to working with a file system that is flexible and does not rely on online-storage synchronisation programmers having the common sense to program so that locally stored copies with a later timestamp are not overwritten without offering the user a choice to have them overwritten or used as the most recent and authoritative version of a file.

Oct 22, 2014 1:00 PM in response to ryanfromjst

I think some of the issue may be Numbers not saving the file before Numbers itself closes.

I just modified a sheet, went back to the screen that lists my spreadsheets (thinking that would initiate a "save"), then double-clicked the home button and closed Numbers. I immediately went back into the app and saw that my change had not been saved.

If we (the user) cannot force a save, then either going back to the spreadsheets page or closing the app should trigger a save for us.

Mar 1, 2016 7:43 PM in response to Celad

LLast year I got a call from someone on the iWork team. After explaining the problem, I sent a spreadsheet for them to test. Since then there have been a couple of updates to Numbers, and I've not had a recurrence of what was a chilling experience with this Apple program. Would have been nice to have had feedback from them, if only "fix pending". There continue to be widespread and pervasive issues with the iOS 9 series, where system memory is tied up somewhere. For example, my iPad 3 is a 16-gig wifi-only model (I have NEVER used any cloud service) currently 9.2.1. System says 8.6 gigs used, and 3.7 available. However, all my apps only add up to just under 2 gigs. The Genius Bar person at my local store alluded that the "fix" was to do a restore to original settings, then reload all my files. Seriously? Shouldn't have to do that. My son has an iPad Air - same configuration, same problem. (Doesnt live with me). Hope Apple can resolve this because we can't download movies, etc. I have friends & associates with the same problem. They mostly now use Netflix. I'd love to buy the next iPad 9.7" Pro or whatever they name it, but won't as a result of this issue. Sorry you have lost whole files. Can't imagine where the problem is, but somewhere there's a memory leak or something like that.

Changes made in Numbers not being saved on iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.