Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect As… won't let me enter Name and Password on Back to My Mac

I'm trying to "get back to my mac". It's a Pro Mac and iCloud shows it as Online. Connecting from my MacBook Pro, over the internet. Both machines are fully updated Mavericks (10.9.4).

When I "Connect as…" on the ProMac in the finder, the Connecting… sits for a long time and then I get the error message "There was a problem connecting to the server “x". The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

Same thing for screen sharing.

What I expect to happen is to be able to click on Connect as… and to be able to enter name and password (I suspect it's logging into the wrong user), but it just tries to connect and generates the error again. I've tried a restart and can't really think of anything else to wake it up.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 1:43 PM

2 replies

Jul 30, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Neal Bridgens

Hi Neal Bridgens,

If you are having issues setting up or using Back To My Mac from your MacBook Pro to your Mac Pro, you may find the information and troubleshooting steps outlined in the following articles helpful:

Set up and use Back to My Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4907

If you have issues using Back to My Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5381

Regards,

- Brenden

Jul 30, 2014 12:05 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brenden.

I should have pointed out that it was working earlier in the week. Nothing particularly helpful on there.

I really think it's trying to log in as the wrong user, seems to constantly want to do that even when they are local. I really just want "connect as…" to open the dialog box instead of attempting to connect. No idea why it's not.

Connect As… won't let me enter Name and Password on Back to My Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.