Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Monitor For Mac Mini

Hi all,

Have a Late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, and Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB.

I'm upgrading my 17" VGA monitor to a 24" HDMI and wondering what monitor has the best chance of just "working". By that I mean plugging an HDMI into the Mini, and plugging that into the HDMI input of the monitor and it outputs without any issues.

I'm looking at either:

• LG 24EN43VS Series 5ms HDI Full HD LED
  • Asus VE248H
  • Samsung S24D300H

What do you think?

Thanks!

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 6:19 PM

I can only speak on the LG and Samsung. I have an LG connected to my iMac and dual Samsung's connected to my Mac Mini. Both make good monitors and it is really hard to tell if one is better than the other.

In retrospect, both the LG and Samsung models that you listed above, also have DVI-D input connections. So that, if you had a problem with the HDMI connection, you could always use the DVI connection.

On that, I can not suggest one over the other. Really your best bet is, to go to your local Electronic's retailer and look at them side by side.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2014 6:19 PM in response to wheezer6

I can only speak on the LG and Samsung. I have an LG connected to my iMac and dual Samsung's connected to my Mac Mini. Both make good monitors and it is really hard to tell if one is better than the other.

In retrospect, both the LG and Samsung models that you listed above, also have DVI-D input connections. So that, if you had a problem with the HDMI connection, you could always use the DVI connection.

On that, I can not suggest one over the other. Really your best bet is, to go to your local Electronic's retailer and look at them side by side.

Jan 7, 2015 2:01 AM in response to chevronnie

Undoubtedly the best monitor is the Apple Thunderbird which I use. I've had mine for now 2 years and I wouldn't want anything else. It's superb.

I use mine for DTP commercial work and the quality is stunning. However, if your budget can't run that far, then any of the above will work well as you can see that the users who have responded all sing from the same hymn sheet.

What I like about the Thunderbird display is that it does what it says on the box. Colors outstanding and has all the necessary inputs for quality work. I also use the HK Sound System through it and that too is excellent.

Good luck!

Jan 22, 2015 11:16 PM in response to wheezer6

Hello,

I had the same concern. I thought it would be better to buy mac mini and then a monitor of my choice. How wrong I was. I bought Dell U2414H, which if you ll google it, you ll find how much problems it has to play with mac. Scripts, manually settings etc and if you ll make it finally work, the result will not satisfy you.

It seems Apple do nothing in order mac mini to be align with any other Monitor except of their own. So if you have mac mini, unfortunately you must buy Aplle Monitor to be satisfied. Which ofcourse makes you think, why did I buy mac mini, from the first place.

Jul 6, 2015 3:50 PM in response to wheezer6

I would recommend the Philips 274E5QHAW. It's an elegant and economical substitute for the Apple display. I have just bought it and have spent a couple of very satisfactory hours doing music production on it.It's also compatible with my old Atari over VGA!

There was a false alarm the first time I plugged it in, as the file menus didn't show and the mouse had limited function. I then found that the CD supplied wouldn't play on the Mac CD player and when read on my PC laptop turned out not to have any Mac OSX drivers!

However, the manual informed me that it's Plug and Play and compatible with OSX, and on booting up a second time everything was working.

I've read about some problems with HDMI but it's running well for me on HDMI.

Feb 29, 2016 5:29 PM in response to alphasun

User uploaded file

The ViewSonic led 24-inch lcd has been outstanding. The LED back-light is everything it is advertised to be. Much brighter than the fluorescent back-light I've had in the past. I had to adjust the brightness to about 50% to reduce the glare. This monitor is only 2" larger than my previous monitor so I hardly notice the size difference. Across a 36" desk it is perfect. A far cry from the 17" I used temporarily. I'm not a video expert so I can't critique the display in technical terms, but to me the picture is extremely good - more than clear enough for surfing the web and watching video clips. To me it looks evenly lit with correct coloring and very, very little lack of sharpness.

I can safely recommend this monitor for the vast majority of users. You won't be disappointed

Feb 29, 2016 7:22 PM in response to wheezer6

I have this monitor: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/996585-REG/nec_pa242w_bk_24_pro_wide_gamut .html

Very happy with it. I keep it calibrated, but it never needs much of an adjustment.

There is a less expensive 24" NEC if you don't want or need the wide gamut monitor:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910902-REG/nec_ea244wmi_bk_ea244wmi_24_wid escreen_led.html

Nice matte screens.

Mar 27, 2016 3:44 AM in response to wheezer6

Frankly, the 27" Apple Display is worth the extra costs, but it is expensive and I've been running mine for a good 4 years. However, as now retired DTP and ran my own business for 30 years, I have found that Iiyama 27" is as good as they come and with the following: 27" LCD LED-Backlit Monitor, Full HD, 1920 x 1080, 16:9, Black Bezel, 2 x 2W Built-In Speakers, USB, DVI-D, HDMI, it would take some beating and the warranty is excellent. There's always a cheaper product but I have found the Iiyama range very acceptable and give excellent service when you need it.

Mar 31, 2016 9:21 PM in response to wheezer6

Well, I'm running a mid-tier 2014 Mac Mini, and previously had an Asus 24" VS28 display @ 1920 x 1200 - which was great. But then I've had this itch to go 4k, and I did all the research. This Mini will only support 4k @ 30hz, but I'm thinking I'm going to spring for a new Macbook - whenever Apple decides to get current with the world - so I'll use the display anyway.

After much reading, I ordered a new Dell P2415Q 4k display from B&H Photo for $390.00 delivered - insane price, right? Received it the next day ⚠ - and within 15 minutes, plugged the HDMI cable into the Mini, and was shocked - SHOCKED, I say - by the awesome clarity of the screen and the overall performance. I was sort of expecting some issues with lag on the mouse & keyboard, and to my surprise there was none of that. This is just 24" of pure Retina goodness, all from this little Mini. It's truly outstanding.

So if anyone asks me about the best monitor for the Mac Mini, this is it, hands down. If you want to live in the Retina world - and who doesn't, really - this is the way to go. It'll blow you away with it's 4k coolness ;-)

Best Monitor For Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.