Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone carrier relocked after restore

I was having some software problems with my phone so i decided to restore it through iTunes. It restores sucessfully but when it attempts to activate, it says that my sim card is not valid. I received this current iphone through the apple store as a replacement for a broken one almost a year ago. A few months ago I switched to tmobile and just popped my new tmobile sim card in and used it like normal for months. Then today after the restore my phone is locked to AT&T will only work when a At&t sim card in inserted. When I put in my tmobile sim, it boots me back to the activation screen where I can do nothing. How is it possible that my iphone goes from unlocked to locked?

I have the latest version of itunes and ios (7.1.2) on iphone 5

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 6:55 PM

7 replies

Jul 28, 2014 6:59 PM in response to markfromclive

Having the phone lock back to an original carrier is usually an indications that the phone was hacked to unlock it from that original carrier instead of being unlocked by that carrier. Did you perform the unlock or did you have someone else do it! If you actually purchased this phone from an Apple store and never unlocked the phone yourself or paid someone else to unlock it take the phone back to Apple and explain the problem. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

Feb 15, 2015 2:20 PM in response to markfromclive

im having the same problem with my iphone 5s, it was unlocked and was using find, the problem started when i removed my apple id and it got locked again, i checked from apple and it says unlocked through GSX

Model: SVC,IPHONE 5S,GSM,32GB,GRAY,CI/AR

IMEI: 013851000889056

Serial: F2LLQ4AHFFDP

ICCID: 8961023511407295462

Coverage: Out Of Warranty (No Coverage)

Activated: Yes

Unbricked: True

First UnBrick: 12/06/13

Last UnBrick: 02/12/15

Wifi Mac Address: DC9B9C802C61

Bluetooth Mac Address: DC:9B:9C:80:30:7C

Version: 8.1.3

Sold To:

Initial Policy: 53 - Canada Service.

Applied Policy: 10 - Unlock.

NextTether Policy: 2094 - Canada Fido N41

Purchase Country: Canada

Purchase Date: 11/08/13

Unlock Date: 02/12/15

Factory Unlocked: True

Simlock: Unlocked

Find My iPhone: OFF

did u guys solved yous?

Dec 2, 2016 2:43 PM in response to markfromclive

i was trying to erase all content and reset.and then it ask me to enter 4 digit number that i didn't know so enter 1983 it was successfully restored after that i put the sim card in and then its asking to enter the passcode and the passcode dosen't match. would you please help me solve this problem. I received this current iphone through the apple store as a replacement for a broken one almost a year ago.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iPhone carrier relocked after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.