Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical lines and image gradients appearing on G5? PLEASE HELP!

Hello! I have been experiencing some issues with my G5 recently, in which I haven't been able to find very much information at all on. So, I figured I'd try to get everything sorted out here, and see if any one knows how I can fix my problem?

Vertical lines ;

From what I've seen, this seems to be a pretty common problem. It started one day when I discovered just a single pixel blue line running down the very center of my screen. After a while I learned to ignore it, but overtime, more began to appear. I am now up to 33 of these lines spanning in various different spots on the screen, all different colors. Again, I've learned to cope, but with time, more seem to be appearing. I'm just wondering how I can fix it, before it gets too bad?

Image gradients ;

I have never been able to find anyone with a problem even slightly like this on my type of computer, so I'm curious to know if anyone else has ever had this problem, or have seen of anyone who has? It seems that not too long after the vertical lines began showing up, that a weird sort of gradient type texture has appeared on many of the default mac images, along with images and videos in both preview and iMovie/quicktime. Here is an example of part of my screen:

User uploaded file

I find that the places it effects the most are in games, such as Minecraft or the Sims 2, in which I used to play a lot a few years back. It also effects exported photos and videos if uploaded to the internet. For example, I uploaded a video to YouTube recently, in which I played back on my phone a few hours later to find that it had the gradient on it as well, only a red version. My brother seems to think its a virus, but I'm not sure? Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thank you for taking the time to read!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Power PC, G5

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 6:28 PM

1 reply

Jul 31, 2014 9:33 AM in response to ampedde

The problem is usually a damaged graphics chip. Run the hardware test that came with the machine. The fact that the Apple menu is showing issues, says it is not with the image in question, nor with the screen image you grabbed. The screen capture depends on the graphics chip to render the image correctly. The fact is not, it captures the problem. If the hardware test is unrevealing, you may have bad RAM. Make sure the RAM is designated as iMac G5 compatible RAM, and not just any PC4200 RAM. Be careful to identify your iMac G5 correctly as there may be more than one type of iMac G5 compatible RAM:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413

Vertical lines and image gradients appearing on G5? PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.