Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't drag clip

I am cutting audio originally from a video in the new Garageband, and I can't move the clip once I split it from the entire track. The track is unlocked, but there is a lock on the clip itself, and I can't figure out why else it won't let me click and drag it to the beginning of the track

EDIT: Once i copy and paste it, I can move the pasted copy? But the original still won't budge.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 11:44 PM

Create a new audio track and copy and paste the sound track to that track (don't use New Track with Duplicate Settings). Silence the original track. The copy of the audio will be unlocked and can be cut and trimmed and shifted.

3 replies

Jul 29, 2014 10:11 AM in response to shankbeezy

When you import a movie into your GarageBand Project, it automatically creates an Audio Track and places the movie's audio as an Audio Region on that Track. That Audio Region is what is called "SMPTE locked", which means, you cannot move it on the timeline to a new position. This ensures that your audio stays in sync with the picture.

However, you can split the Audio Region and trim the endings of the Audio Regions (and join). This is allowed because you don't shift the actual audio.

The Audio Track can look look something like that

User uploaded file

As léonie pointed out, you can copy the Audio Region to a new Audio Track (Option+drag the Region) and mute the original Audio Track. Now you can edit the Audio Region as you like.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

can't drag clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.