Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

videos converted to MP4: can't get them onto iPod

I have converted videos from YouTube via tubeget.com to a mp4 format using my PC. They appear in the Documents --> Videos folder on the PC, a Windows Media program.

I can see the files in iTunes when I try to add them to iTunes using the “Add file to Library” option under the File menu in iTunes. But when I click on the mp4 file I can’t get it to transfer over to iTunes. That is, when I click on the file via “add to Library”, the file doesn’t appear under Videos in iTunes. And thus, of course, I can’t get the videos into my Videos folder on my iPod Classic.

The iPod is supposed to be a 5th generation. I bought it used from a reputable seller. It readily accepts music videos downloaded from the iTunes store, and it readily accepted a transfer of music files from iTunes to the device.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay

iPod classic

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 3:29 AM

2 replies

Jul 29, 2014 4:41 AM in response to jweist

If you don't see the videos in iTunes, that would be the initial problem, and that part is not related to the iPod. 😉

You can use that Add to Library command from the menu bar, but it's sometimes more "informative" if you do it this way...

First, create a new playlist, so that it appears in the iTunes sidebar. If the iTunes sidebar is not visible along left side of window, from the menu bar under View, select Show Sidebar. If you have a lot of playlists already, you can start its name with an underscore (_) symbol, and it will appear at or near the top. Select that playlist in the sidebar, so that its content list is shown to me right (currently empty).

Then, open a Windows Explorer window that shows the video files. Drag one of the video files from that window, and drop it on the playlist (on the currently empty list). If that video file is compatible with iTunes (iTunes can play it), it gets imported, and it appears on the playlist. It also appears in the iTunes library, under Movies. Using a playlist as the place to "drag it to" just makes it easier to spot. If it works for one, drag the other videos you want to add, to the same playlist. On the playlist, you can edit the names as needed, and add other info such as Artist. Then try adding them to the iPod.

NOTE: You can select multiple files to add at the same time and drag them all at once. You can also select the folder that contains the files to add, and drag that folder to the iTunes window.

If the video file format is somehow not compatible with iTunes, you will not able to drag them to the iTunes window. Well, you can drag them there, but they will not get imported nor appear on the playlist. And that would be the problem to solve first.

Either way, you'll be a step closer to figuring out the cause of this problem.

videos converted to MP4: can't get them onto iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.