Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Calendar fails authentication

I'll put this here for want of finding a better place in the hopes it might help someone else avoid the hours I spent searching for answers online. I am using the Yosemite Preview and have three Google accounts but only one would not sync the Google Calendar with the Calendar app when I switched from Mavericks. No helpful error messages anywhere and the Calendar app would work the CPU until nothing else would run except the fan.

Eventually, when trying to add the calendar back as a CalDav and not a Google Calendar, I came to a panel which said Google required verification (first hint!) and the in-panel browser did automatically log in to Google but showed the basic Google+ account page and did not show a page where such verification could happen. A little more searching based on the language in the error message did lead me to find this:

https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/3178296?hl=en

and that led me to

https://www.google.com/accounts/displayunlockcaptcha

Once I visited that page and logged in there was a simple response that I would now be able to allow additional devices to access my account.

After going through this process and then checking Calendars in the list of available services for the already-created Google account in the System Preferences the Google calendar appeared in the Calendars app and there was no more CPU overload.

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 4:20 AM

1 reply

Apr 20, 2015 3:34 PM in response to PaulB

Every ten minutes or so, I get a message saying something like "Google wants you to enter your password". So I click "Continue" which brings up System Preferences - the part that shows iCloud is connected to iCal and a range of other apps. I enter my password, which is accepted. Then a new window comes up telling me Google wants to link with OS X in order to do a whole list of things. I click "I accept" and I get "Google authentication failed".

This has been since the last OS update. For a while, it was only iCal that wanted a password, except it wouldn't accept my normal Google password or any other password I threw at it. Now it seems to be a similar problem for the entire range of applications linked to iCloud and Google. I wouldn't mind except that I only use Google's search engine, Google maps and occasionally Google Translate. I have a gmail address, but I never use it or even look at it. Is Facebook Google too? No wonder that's gone funny recently.

Google Calendar fails authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.