Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to make a separate folder for whatsapp photos and videos.

Hey, I just bought Iphone5S. All the photos and videos received on Whatsapp are stored automatically in Camera Roll. I tried to move those photos to another album from camera roll. But at the end, photos remain in the Camera Roll only. So, I have two questions

1. Can we make a separate folder for Whatsapp photos / videos, so that all the coming photos / videos can be stored in there automatically?

2. Can we move photos from Camera Roll album to another album? I know we can add the same photos into another album. But I want to move them into another album.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 7:28 AM

Hi there,

1) Unless Whatsapp developers introduce that, you cannot define that picture for this or that app are automatically assigned to a folder.

2) All pictures taken or received by any means on the iPhone will go in the Camera Roll, even if the app creates a specific folder for its photos. The folder is some kind of a shortcut to access specific photos faster, but if/when deleted from the camera roll folder, they are also gone from the specific folder. The only way to have photos in folder that are not linked to camera roll is to sync them from a computer to the iPhone via iTunes. You will not be able to edit or delete them from the iPhone though afterwards, as not controlled by the iPhone at all.

Hope this answers your queries.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2014 7:28 AM in response to ankitsiki

Hi there,

1) Unless Whatsapp developers introduce that, you cannot define that picture for this or that app are automatically assigned to a folder.

2) All pictures taken or received by any means on the iPhone will go in the Camera Roll, even if the app creates a specific folder for its photos. The folder is some kind of a shortcut to access specific photos faster, but if/when deleted from the camera roll folder, they are also gone from the specific folder. The only way to have photos in folder that are not linked to camera roll is to sync them from a computer to the iPhone via iTunes. You will not be able to edit or delete them from the iPhone though afterwards, as not controlled by the iPhone at all.

Hope this answers your queries.

Jul 29, 2014 9:46 AM in response to mezzomix23

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I have one more question, is there any option in Iphone5S to know the file size or properties of a particular of a photo / video.

Further, when i edit a photo saved in Camera Roll, Iphone doesn't give an option to save the edited photo as a new photo. I mean it doesn't give an option to save both the photos before and after the editing. It overrides the original photo. Can we have the option to save both the photos.

Jul 29, 2014 9:58 AM in response to ankitsiki

I wish there was, but we are iOS 7 now and Apple still does not think it would be a useful feature to have in the native Photos app. You have plenty of free application in the App Store that will give you that information, as well as if you connect your iPhone to iTunes. Look for EXIF as search criterion and select one. Unfortunately and from what I've seen, iOS 8 still does not have this as well 😟

When you edit a picture in the Photos, it does not really edit them. For instance, you change the Filter and save, you can still revert to original filter or apply another filter. If you crop the image and save, click on crop again, you can see that the original image is still available.

When you send a cropped image by email for instance, it will send the full original image. If you want to crop it really before sending, you need to use another app from the App Store and crop it from there. This will let you save it as a new image.

Jul 29, 2014 1:06 PM in response to ankitsiki

If you would like Apple to know that you would like to see these changes, the forum is not where you need to share it. While it is the place for you to get some answers, Apple does not participate in the forum. They get their feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate link. They view all of the feedback their, however they do not provide individual responses.

how to make a separate folder for whatsapp photos and videos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.