Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto error message & poss virus?

My iphoto keeps displaying the error message "The volume for “***.JPG” cannot be found. It displays the thumbnail but can't/won't display the photo itself. This doesn't affect all photos in iphoto but affects groups taken at the same time. If I plug in the original memory card I can access the full photo but unplug it & I'm back to just the thumbnail with error message.

My operating system is Mac OS X Version 10.7.5 and iphoto '11 Version 9.2 (626).

Can anyone help please?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 6:18 AM

1 reply

Jul 29, 2014 7:13 AM in response to The Savages

You have one or more links to a disused volume in the iPhoto library. Since the volume is no longer accessible, those links are now invalid. You should be able to find them by a tedious process of elimination. First, back up all data.

Select about half of your photos and start to drag them. Don't actually move them anywhere; just drag them a little and release. If you get the warning, then some of the photos you selected are invalid links. Narrow down the selection. If you don't get the warning, select the other half of the library.

When you've isolated the invalid items, delete them and then select

iPhoto ▹ Empty iPhoto Trash

from the menu bar. Finally, rebuild the iPhoto library.

(Credit for this idea to Winston Moy of winstonmoy.com.)

In some cases, the above procedure may not work. Then you'll have to create a new library with the contents of the existing one. The easiest way to do that is with a third-party application called "iPhoto Library Manager," which you can find in a web search. From the application's menu bar (not the iPhoto menu bar), select

Library Rebuild

Books, calendars, and slideshows won't be preserved.

iphoto error message & poss virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.