Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a USB 2 sound card to a Macbook equipped only with USB 3 ports?

Hello,

I just learned I might have to purchase a new Macbook because my USB ports are fried and I was looking at purchasing a refurbished Macbook pro from 2012:

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macBook-pro-25g hz-dual-core-intel-i5

the only trouble is I make music with a MOTU Audio Express sound card, and it only has a USB 2 port and a bus-powered Firewire (which I don't like using since it hasn't been too reliable in the past).

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/audio-express/summary.html

Unfortunately, it seems that the Macbook I'm looking into purchasing only has USB 3 ports, and I looked for info on USB 3->USB 2 adapters online and this simply doesn't seem to exist. The only info I managed to find on this subject was this little bit on the Apple website:

Can a USB 2 cable be used to connect a USB 3 device to my computer?

If the device end of the cable fits into the connector on the device, yes. However, because it has fewer wires, you won't get USB 3 speed and power may be limited to 500 mA.

does this mean that I can connect a USB 2 cable from the USB 2 port of the MOTU sound card to the USB 3 port on the Macbook? I'm OK with the power and the speed being limited to USB 2 power, I just want to make sure I can actually use my sound card with this new Macbook.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 3:57 PM

Yes, it does.

(110195)

13 replies

Jul 29, 2014 4:00 PM in response to Motion Flares

It's my understanding that all the USB ports are both usable on 2.0 or 3.0 devices. However, I have read somewhere that if you use a 2.0 device in the port before it has ever been used, then that port cannot be used with 3.0 devices (or it may have been the other way around. I'm not sure nor do I even know if it's true.) This is sort of contrary to what I have seen on other computers with USB 3.0 ports that work interchangeably with USB 2.0 devices regardless of the cable. Note that most USB 2.0 devices cannot accept the device end of a USB 3.0 cable. It is not the same as for USB 2.0 devices.

Jul 29, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you both for your answers.

Just to be clear Kappy, when you say "Note that most USB 2.0 devices cannot accept the device end of a USB 3.0 cable. It is not the same as for USB 2.0 devices.", can I still use a USB 2.0 cable out of my USB 2.0 device into the USB 3.0 port on the Macbook? Might seem obvious, but I'm new to this USB 3.0 stuff...

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2014 4:39 PM in response to Motion Flares

I think I'm understanding this a bit more now.

Here is the cable that I use:

http://www.amazon.ca/USB-Cable-Type-Male-Black/dp/B00183I7EE

The Type A part is the one that I'm currently putting into the Macbook and the Type B part goes in the sound card.

Would this work with a USB 3.0 port on the Macbook?

Thanks for your time and patience...

Jul 29, 2014 4:44 PM in response to Motion Flares

All the USB computer ports use the same cable plug that you have always used. It's the other end, or device end, that is different for USB 3.0 because it does not look like a normal USB 2.0 plug.

The cable you linked to should work OK. The USB 2.0 plug on one end will connect to the computer while the smaller, squarish-looking plug connects to your sound card.

Can I connect a USB 2 sound card to a Macbook equipped only with USB 3 ports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.