Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to uninstall MACVX/spyhunter

Hi, can anyone tell me how to uninstall spyhunter/MacVx software...?

These pop-up ad's drives me mad...!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 7:09 PM

You installed the "VidX" trojan, perhaps under a different name. To remove it, first open the Applications folder by selecting

Go ▹ Applications

from the Finder menu bar, or by pressing the key combination shift-command-A. Look for an item named "VidX," "MacVx," or similar. If present, drag it to the Trash and empty.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall any extension you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. You may well have more than one that's adware or spyware.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2014 7:09 PM in response to JMNYC5

You installed the "VidX" trojan, perhaps under a different name. To remove it, first open the Applications folder by selecting

Go ▹ Applications

from the Finder menu bar, or by pressing the key combination shift-command-A. Look for an item named "VidX," "MacVx," or similar. If present, drag it to the Trash and empty.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall any extension you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. You may well have more than one that's adware or spyware.

Mar 18, 2015 8:35 AM in response to mhu827

I too didn't have any of the files mentioned in my Applications folder but as has been mentioned I did have the Macfest Extension installed in Safari. Check your Safari/Preferences/Extensions for Macfest and uninstall it.

I had just upgraded the Adobe Flash Player and then the ads started so I suspect it was installed by Adobe.

how to uninstall MACVX/spyhunter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.