Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What OS X upgrade options for Version 10.4.11 on G4?

Looking to get iPhone 4s pictures and movies off phone and create some home movies and such with iMovie if possible. Have iMovie on phone but can't seem to find a version that works with OS X Ver 10.4.11. Don't see any upgrades for the OS X either.

Thank you,

Brian

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Upgrade

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 10:11 AM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2014 10:50 AM in response to Crewof5

It depends on what model G4 you have. If it's a G4 (mirrored drive doors) model or later you can run 10.5.8 on it. That would allow thou to install iLife 09. You can get a Leopart install disk from 3rd party retailers like Amazon.com or eBay.

However, if you have a G4 (QjuickSilver 2002) or earlier 10.4.11 is the latest system you can run. So your only option would be to purchase a newer Mac.

For all practical purposes your best best would be to buy a new or newer Mac. Maybe a refurbished one from Apple. Your current Mac is just way too old.

User uploaded file

Aug 21, 2014 8:54 AM in response to Old Toad

I have a G4 Quicksilver and it can run 10.5.8 It is one of the models with dual 1GHz processors.

You can run iMovie under Leopard OS (10.5) (I have one that runs under Tiger OS) but it may be tricky finding a copy for it. It will also be very slow and will gobble up drive space. I'm pretty sure iMovie can't edit mp4 format directly and converts it all into a raw format for editing. I put an innocent 45 minute, 300 MB mp4 (not h264) video on my computer and it turned into a 17 GB behemoth.

You can transfer items from your Camera Roll to a G4 using Image Capture. My wife has an iPhone 4s and we transfer Camera Roll items to my G4 Tiger OS that way.

What OS X upgrade options for Version 10.4.11 on G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.