Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating Digital Cinema Package from a FCP6 project

My documentary will be screening in a film festival and a DCP (digital cinema package) is the preferred exhibition format.

I edited on my DVCPro HD 1080i60 footage on a DVCPro HD 1080i60 timeline. There are also some DSLR clips and SD archival video clips

that will need to be conformed (via Compressor, or perhaps via hardware) into the codec of the editing timeline.

In reading online info on DCPs, it seems that I should convert my 1080i60 footage into 24fps (or 23.98), and I'm assuming that means I

should go from interlaced to progressive but I'm still reading up on all of this.

Some facilities take both DVCProHD and ProRes projects, while others stongly recommend

ProRes -- which would be a really time consuming Compressor conversion on my iMac!

Any help or tips on how to prep the movie prior to sending it out to a facility that creates DCPs will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

iPad, iOS 5.1, iPad is 3rd generations

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 1:16 PM

I suggest calling and asking the facilities directly. Only they can tell you exactly what they need.

7 replies

Aug 2, 2014 1:42 PM in response to Newton the Newt

Kinda crazy and tired right now, but if you want, post back and I'll give you the workflow for outputting for DCP. I've done a few of them. However, since your material is 1080 to begin with, if your venue will accept it, you might do just as well with HDCam or blu-ray and save yourself quite a bit of money with out much if any visible quality loss.

Aug 5, 2014 1:03 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your original response on a busy day. You've helped me several times before on this forum regarding this project and I really

appreciate it.

I've checked backed with the festival and they're sticking with the DCP as the sole exhibition format.

I edited primarily DVCProHD 1080i60 footage on a FCP6 timeline with that same codec. I do have some H.264 clips from a DSLR, some SD DVCPro archival footage, and some Motion JPEG A archival footage all on the same timeline, all at 29.97fps.

When I export a Quicktime Movie from the timeline it all plays without any issues.

The LA post houses I've gotten bids from for creating the DCP all include a charge for transcoding to 24fps. Nobody mentions interlaced vs.

progressive which confuses me. Does interlaced vs. progressive just not matter in creating a DCP? Will the transcode to 24fps resolve interlaced vs progressive?

If it's not a big hassle, it would be great to have a copy your workflow for outputting to DCP.

Thanks again for your help now and in the past!

Aug 6, 2014 9:15 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

A couple of questions. Did you edit your h264 footage directly into the timeline? H264 is not fcp friendly and can cause all sorts of problems.

I strongly advise that you scale all footage whose pixel dimensions do not match your timeline settings before you edit them into the timeline. Compressor does a much better job of scaling than fcp if you set the resize filter to best in the frame controls tab.

Creating Digital Cinema Package from a FCP6 project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.