Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP - My email on my iPad with Imap settings of Gmail and the Settings on the iPad

Hi,

My email on my iPad with Imap settings of Gmail and the Settings on the iPad are not working right because before it was working right with imap connecting to gmail email on my iPad with the Apple Mail app. I have an error that keeps coming up every time I try to get it right it doesn't work. So what am I doing wrong cause I really want to get the settings right on the gmail website and the settings on my iPad that I'm doing wrong! Thanks

P.S. I hope I explained it enough if not let me know and I will try more! But I think I got it right!

iPad, Other OS, ipad1, mail gmail settings

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 4:42 PM

49 replies

Jul 30, 2014 6:11 PM in response to Sparychess

Unless there are serious problems, you shouldn't have to do any of that. Your Gmail account should be automatically configured with the proper settings when you follow the steps I posted. If for some reason it won't accept your password you might have to unlock your account by going to https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha, but chances are you won't have to.

Jul 30, 2014 5:40 PM in response to randers4

But also wouldn't I have to sign out of that account on all my devices meaning my ipad, iphone, mac aka meaning the Gmail website? and then delete the accounts only from my ipad? plus my mom had this kind of problem but with yahoo but back to gmail if i do do this am i going to lose all my email from the website and my iphone? or is my iphone ok? cause my iphone works! and if you don't mind can you give me step by step instructions on how to fix this cause i want to be able to play and do email on my ipad oh and I forgot to tell you that this iPad is the first generation one!!

Apr 4, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Sparychess

If you are only having problems accessing the Gmail account on your iPad and it works on your iPhone and Mac, you don't need to do anything on your iPhone or Mac. Deleting the account from your iPad will not effect your other devices/computers. Also, you won't lose any email. Your email will still be stored on Google's Gmail servers. When you delete the account from your iPad it will temporarily delete the email from your iPad, but when you add the account back it will download back to your iPad from Google.

The specific steps would be:

1. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars
  2. Tap your Gmail account in the Accounts list
  3. Scroll to the bottom and tap Delete Account
  4. Go back to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars and tap Add Account (in the Accounts section)
  5. Tap Google
  6. In the window that opens, fill the name, address, password and description
  7. Tap Next, and turn on the things you want to sync with your Gmail account. If you only use email, just turn Mail On and save the account.

Apr 4, 2015 8:22 PM in response to randers4

Ok thanks,

I will let you know if that worked or whatever but I also have been looking online to see what other people are doing and I found this do you think this might help if what you said above did not? and I mean no offense but here is what it is and just wondering

Please try those following steps for iPhone users attempting to use the Mail app -
1. Make sure you have IMAP enabled in your Gmail account and disabled POP
2. Use https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha to unlock your account just in case
3. Add smtp.googlemail.com and smtp.gmail.com, with no username and no password (left as optional) and turn on SSL (Use SSL > ON) with Authentication as Password, and configure both of them to be ON in your Outgoing Mail Server in the 'Other SMTP Servers' list
4. Lastly, log into your Google Accounts through https://www.google.com/accounts/Login and go to Personal Settings > Security > Authorizing applications & sites
The most important part is, create a name for your Application-specific password for example "iPhone" and when the password is created in the 'Generate new application-specific password box', use that new generated password in your Gmail Account Information on the iPhone below your email address as that's going to be used, not your email account password!
WARNING: Once you hide the password or logged out, you will not be able to see the password again so either memorize it in your own way or if you lose it, generate a new password and REVOKE the old password
Hope all of this helps fix some issues up, cheers!
(These steps is how I managed to successfully get two of my Gmail accounts working now on my iPhone 4)

HELP - My email on my iPad with Imap settings of Gmail and the Settings on the iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.