Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine starts at home folder

In Mavericks when I enter Time Machine, the interface disregards the folder I have open and in front in the Finder and always goes to my Home folder instead. It use to always start in the front most Finder window. Anyone know how to fix this?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 9:54 PM

5 replies

Jul 30, 2014 10:37 PM in response to lande pictures

Back up all data.

Open the Library folder in your home folder by holding down the option key and selecting

Go Library

from the Finder menu bar. From the Library folder, move the following folder to the Trash, then relaunch the Finder and empty the Trash

Caches/com.apple.finder

Test. If there's no improvement, move this file to the Desktop:

Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no change, put each file you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place, and log out again. Otherwise, delete the files you moved.

Aug 23, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

Neither fix helped. Not a critical problem, just annoying.

Any other ideas?

By the way, I only moved the preference you listed, but noticed two more similar named preferences:

com.apple.finder.plist.kS13zCg

com.apple.finder.plist.lockfile

Also, I noticed that the "Caches/com.apple.finder" did not regenerate itself after reboot, so I put it back myself.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4) updated from regular Lion.

time machine starts at home folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.