Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with WD MyBook World Edition

Hello,

I need some help on behalf of my whole office. I work for a digital print shop. We use a MyBook World Edition (not sure if 1 or 2) as our shared drive. Essentially, our receptionist places files from the client into MyBook, we access it from our computers in the back, and then use it again to transfer files to the computers that control the printers. I don't run the company, please don't tell me how we could be doing this better.

On Monday, all of our computers suddenly got kicked from MyBook. We didn't do any updates or change anything, it just stopped working. This system has been working for us for months, possibly years I haven't been here that long. We reset it, and the Windows machines were able to recognize and access the drive. It shows up on the Macs under the shared panel, but we can't access it. It just says "connecting" forever, nothing happens. This problem is affecting 2 Mac Pros with Snow Leopard, and 1 with Mavericks.

This is a huge deal for us, and we really need to get it fixed. We've resorted to passing files around on flash drives for the week, and it's been frustrating to say the least. If it helps, we have our MyBook in the front office, connected to an Airport Express Base Station. All of the computers connect via wifi.

I'll be watching this discussion all day, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 7:06 AM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2014 7:45 AM in response to Mr.Mckee

Have you turned the external drive off, let is set for approximately 30 seconds, and then turned it back on? Restarted computers?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

General information.

Isolating issues in Mac OS X

Jul 31, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the reply.

We are actually on different admin accounts already. My machine is set to one account, the other 2 machines are different. We have tried restarting, and our machines get shutdown every night. We've also tried restarting the drive multiple times. Back To My Mac isn't being used, we aren't logged into iCloud.

I can try the Safe Mode idea, but not anytime soon. We are a constantly running business, and today is pretty crazy. I'll see if I can try after work. Any other ideas are appreciated until then.

Need help with WD MyBook World Edition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.