Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use my time capsule as a wifi extender and still use as a backup in Time Machine

I purchased a new airport extreme and want to use my existing time capsule as a wifi extender in another part of the house. How do I set this up so that I can still use the time capsule as my backup (time machine) hard drive?

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 7:03 AM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2014 11:30 AM in response to BNOLTNER

Hello BNOLTNER,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Please see the directions in the following article for configuring your extended network. Your Time Capsule will still be seen on the network, and may still be used as a backup destination.

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259

Take care,

Alex H.

Aug 2, 2014 11:40 AM in response to BNOLTNER

Unfortunately, the instructions in the support document that Alex H. provided are now about 3 years out of date, so it is unlikely that they would provide you with the correct information and procedures for the Mavericks (10.9.4) operating system that you are using.

We are not clear on the following:

1) Whether you have the AirPort Extreme set up and working correctly at this time

2) Whether you plan to have the Time Capsule extend the WiFi signal by connecting back to the AirPort Extreme using a wired Ethernet connection....or....whether you want to try to have the Time Capsule connect using wireless to extend the network

Apr 6, 2016 7:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob (or anyone who knows),

We have a similar need. Two Time Capsules, one connected to the modem / internet on one end of the house and used as the WiFi source. I have the second TC connected to the first via a long hardline ethernet cable but the it's radio is currently shut off. I would like to enable that second radio as an extension to the WiFi on the first (same SSID, etc.). Is this possible or am I better off with a seperate WiFi extender? I have the Airport Utility (6.3.6) but I am not very familiar with this utility. OS is 10.11.3. Any guidance would be appreciated.

How do I use my time capsule as a wifi extender and still use as a backup in Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.