Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost the recovery partition and I can't install OSX now

Hello everybody ,,

I faced a critical problem today while repartitioning my drive for 2 partition, first result: I failed to make 2 partition, second result: I lost my recovery partition, and now I can't install the OSX again.

The recovery partition was built on version 10.9.4

Now I have tried to reinstall ver. 10.9.0 from my external drive (via usb) but not accepting.

I don't know now what is the solution to install the OSX, my MacBook now with no system.

Specifications: MacBook Pro late 2013

CPU 2.6 i7 , Memory 16 GB, Flash storage 512 GB

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 7:46 AM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2014 10:49 AM in response to Mr. Awileh

If your Mac shipped with OS X 10.7 or later preinstalled, or if it's one of the computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery, you may be able to netboot from an Apple server by holding down the key combination command-option-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe. You should then be able to partition the internal drive and install the original OS. After that, if you need to upgrade, download the current OS X installer from the App Store.

Note: You need an always-on Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to use Recovery. It won’t work with USB or PPPoE modems, or with proxy servers, or with networks that require a certificate for authentication.

Jul 31, 2014 4:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi again,

after several times I succeeded, and the spinning globe continue up to reach OSX installer then I connect it to my Wi-Fi, but just when start connecting to apple server it gives me a message:

(( Could not find the installation information for this machine. Contact AppleCare. ))

I'm going now to try again same steps, maybe I can success to connect to apple server.

Please inform me you have any other suggestion ):

Thanks a lot for following up with my problem.

Jul 31, 2014 5:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

Now it is connected to apple server after few times of trying ,,,

and start downloading ... but it will keep on downloading for around 10 min then it will go back to OSX installation screen (( before finishing download process )) and I should start from the beginning, this happened several times.

I think there is no other solution ... I should take it to Apple Store.

Thanks a lot for your effort.

I lost the recovery partition and I can't install OSX now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.