Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Space is Taken Up by Backups

A few months ago I had issues with my laptop and I sent it to the Apple store to be repaired. They recommended I begin to back up my laptop just in case, so at the store they helped me pick out a LaCie 500GB hard drive. One of the Apple guys set it up for me and backed up my laptop for me. He did something with Time Machine but I'm not sure what. Afterwards, when I checked the storage space on my laptop, a few GB were taken up, but not much. Shortly after this, I left camp for five weeks and didn't use my laptop.

I came back a few days ago and added some pictures and videos from camp to my laptop, so I decided to back it up again. I just plugged the hard drive in and hit the "back up" button, wherever that button was. Today I check my storage space. 61 GB were taken up by backups, and I had no idea how! I checked just a few hours later and:

User uploaded file

How is that even possible?! Within only a few hours, I lost over 20 more GB to backups. I thought the backups were being stored on my hard drive, not on my laptop! I'm so confused right now. I went onto Time Machine and it says it's "On" but, honestly, I don't have any idea what Time Machine even is. I wanted to turn it off, because I felt that it has something to do with this, but if I turn it off will I lose all of my backups? And why are the backups on my laptop and not on my hard drive?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 10:20 AM

Read this support article which will explain what these 'snapshot backups' are:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878

You may safely ignore them.

Ciao.

4 replies

Jul 31, 2014 10:38 AM in response to Pepsi Villella

Run a Time machine backup. That should take care of the snap shots for now.

Pepsi Villella wrote:

can I continue to back up my laptop on the hard drive when Time Machine is turned off?

It all depends upon if you want hourly backups or not. In a vocational environment that may be very important. I personally run Time Machine once every day or two.

As an aside, if your data is important, two backups are a good strategy. In addition to Time Machine, I have a separate boot drive clone made with Carbon Copy Cloner. If the Internal HDD fails, the CCC HDD allows me to be back in operation within 5 minutes without having to wait for Time Machine to restore all of my data, which may take several hours.

Ciao.

My Space is Taken Up by Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.