Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I remove MacVx from my macbook pro

how do I remove MacVx from my computer, as of yesterday I am getting ads and pop ups. Please help

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 3:31 PM

The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware.

See these Apple articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and malware detection

OS X Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mountain Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mavericks- Protect your Mac from malware

About file quarantine in OS X

If you require anti-virus protection Thomas Reed recommends using ClamXAV. (Thank you to Thomas Reed for this recommendation.)

From user Joe Bailey comes this equally useful advice:

The facts are:

1. There is no anti-malware software that can detect 100% of the malware out there.

2. There is no anti-malware that can detect anything targeting the Mac because there

is no Mac malware in the wild, and therefore, no "signatures" to detect.

3. The very best way to prevent the most attacks is for you as the user to be aware that

the most successful malware attacks rely on very sophisticated social engineering

techniques preying on human avarice, ****, and fear.

4. Internet popups saying the FBI, NSA, Microsoft, your ISP has detected malware on

your computer is intended to entice you to install their malware thinking it is a

protection against malware.

5. Some of the anti-malware products on the market are worse than the malware

from which they purport to protect you.

6. Be cautious where you go on the internet.

7. Only download anything from sites you know are safe.

8. Avoid links you receive in email, always be suspicious even if you get something

you think is from a friend, but you were not expecting.

9. If there is any question in your mind, then assume it is malware.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2014 3:31 PM in response to angela2453

The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware.

See these Apple articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and malware detection

OS X Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mountain Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mavericks- Protect your Mac from malware

About file quarantine in OS X

If you require anti-virus protection Thomas Reed recommends using ClamXAV. (Thank you to Thomas Reed for this recommendation.)

From user Joe Bailey comes this equally useful advice:

The facts are:

1. There is no anti-malware software that can detect 100% of the malware out there.

2. There is no anti-malware that can detect anything targeting the Mac because there

is no Mac malware in the wild, and therefore, no "signatures" to detect.

3. The very best way to prevent the most attacks is for you as the user to be aware that

the most successful malware attacks rely on very sophisticated social engineering

techniques preying on human avarice, ****, and fear.

4. Internet popups saying the FBI, NSA, Microsoft, your ISP has detected malware on

your computer is intended to entice you to install their malware thinking it is a

protection against malware.

5. Some of the anti-malware products on the market are worse than the malware

from which they purport to protect you.

6. Be cautious where you go on the internet.

7. Only download anything from sites you know are safe.

8. Avoid links you receive in email, always be suspicious even if you get something

you think is from a friend, but you were not expecting.

9. If there is any question in your mind, then assume it is malware.

Aug 6, 2014 10:01 AM in response to angela2453

Hello.

My system software è MAC OSX 10.9.4 but think it's the same in Windows environment.

I also had the browser (Firefox in my case) "haunted" by MACVX.

I found no answer on blogs.

AVIRA scanner did not find anything.

I tried Safari and he did not open the ADSs that Firefox open.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall Firefox maintaining history, passwords and bookmarks, when I noticed that in Firefox extensions there was an add-in that was called just MACVX. I saw the date of installation, that was precisely the day on which the ads were started.

I have uninstalled manually, Firefox off and on again and now everything is ok.

I also find a file in a web page folder containing the string "MACVX" and I deleted it. You can use Finder (or other...) to find it.

Let me know if this works for you.

Ciao

Alessandro

Aug 6, 2014 11:30 AM in response to Alessandro52

Most A-V scanners won't detect these kinds of things since adware is annoying but normally not malicious, so it's not considered to be malware.

Do you have any idea how you might have contracted this? For instance, were you told to install some sort of plug-in or Codec in order to view a media presentation? Were you told you needed to update Flash Player on a web site? Anything would help us to identify it would help the community as it seems to be relatively rare a the moment.

Check your applications folder for an Application named Vidx. If you were to run that it will reinstall another extension, probably with a different name, so get rid of that, as well.

Aug 6, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Alessandro52

Alessandro52 wrote:

I think it was contracted only by visiting a web page and save her. At least, I think so because lately I have non installed any codec or plug_in...

That is known as a drive-by infection and is not currently known to be possible if your Lion Server OS X and Java is fully-up-to date. You must have accidentally installed it thinking it was something else.

Aug 11, 2014 3:02 PM in response to angela2453

I just think that there is no need to be too detailed. Because we can talk about no right things. Or invent.

I do not have vidx.app anywhere on my harddrive.
MadMacs0, have you vidvx.app in your applications folder? Have you personally deleted the extension macvx and then reinstalled using vidx.app?
How do you know that this is the app that installs macvx?
The concept of problem solving (which has been normalized by computer technicians) says that the first thing is to eliminate the symptom.
Then, perhaps, to look for the reason. If it's worth the price.
And I also think that I'll never get to 5000 posts, if I say only the necessary things ...;)

Aug 11, 2014 3:33 PM in response to Alessandro52

The answer to all of those questions is Yes, I have. thomas_r. and I obtained samples of the Vidx adware and were able to determine what was installed where. You can read the results on TheSafeMac's Adware Removal Guide - Vidx. Another user in the Apple Support Community forum told us that thomas_r.'s Adware Removal Tool effectively removed all portions of his MacVx infection and identified it as a Vidx variant.

I do not havevidx.appanywhereon myharddrive.

Is there any app in your Applications folder that you don't recognize? It's easy to change the name of the app in the same way as they install the extension with a variety of names.

Do you have any idea what you downloaded that installed MacVx and where it came from. You would do the community a great service if we could obtain a sample.

how do I remove MacVx from my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.