Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite or go for a new install of Yosemite?

I just asked this, got an answer, but it shows as restricted. I can't access my question, so I'll repost. Dammit!

Macbook Pro 15.4” Retina, October 2012, 500g, 8g RAM.

In anticipation of the release of Yosemite, I have been ready to back everything up, screenshot all of my apps, print them so I can pick and choose after the install from where I have acquired everything. I am on a business scenario, not a typical home user. I use five external hard drives, so I can get it sussed.

I am a Windows convert, I still Bootcamp Win 7 because of some Sony video software I need to use for business. Upper end Photoshop user. I will be installing Final Cut Pro X as a replacement for the video apps when everything settles. I have researched and see that my BluRay production will take a hit because I will have a learning curve and there seems to be a bug with Final Cut Pro X and BluRay production. I'm sure it will be resolved by the time I am ready to switch. No biggy. I will be cutting the Microsoft cord when that takes place. I'm just giddy over it. Seriously.

What I want to know, and this is a very noob question, is, I want to erase and format my hard drive to accept Yosemite when it hits the release date. I want to go with a clean install rather than an update.

To all of you seasoned and dyed in the wool Apple people, if you were two years into Apple as I am, would you install Yosemite, when it is released, as a stand-alone, fresh install instead an update install? I know it will wipe everything, but I want to build from the ground up as an OS install. Start over, as it sounds.

Do you people think it an imprudent act to wipe everything and start over or a better idea to update with the Yosemite release over/on top of Mavericks?

I know there will be bugs. I dealt with the Mail bug in Mavericks, then they fixed it. I know there will be issues, there always are.

Does it even matter?

Thanks for your attention and for looking,

Kelly J.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Windows 7, Installed on MacBook Pro.

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 3:57 PM

18 replies

Aug 1, 2014 2:17 AM in response to Csound1

Rule number 1: If your computer is used for mission critical

use, i.e. part of your lively hood, never update to a first release of

a new OS unless you have a means to restore your system back to

its previous state quickly. Make a clone of your current system so you can

reclone back if there are any issues.

Rule number 2: Always, always backup mission critical data before

upgrade. This should be done anyway, upgrade or not.

Rule 3: Do not upgrade until you are sure that all mission critical

apps and device drivers are up to date an compatible with the new OS.

Rule 4: Remove any "tweak ware" as these are almost always a problem

with any upgrade and really should not be used in the first place.

Generally, clean installs are not required (I haven't done one since 10.4).

The only clean installs I have done since is when I was selling a Mac

or changing an old Macs use.

To be safe, you can clone your current system to an external drive,

install Yosemite on it and test it before committing to installing on your main

drive.

Aug 1, 2014 5:16 AM in response to Csound1

Good deal. All three of you answered exactly as I was thinking.

To Csound1, I will never touch a beta of anything. I had thought the fall release of Yosemite would be a release candidate (baked.) Am I wrong? I know it's hard to know.

Through my years as a Windows user, I always waited at least a year after their OS releases before jumping on them.

Aug 1, 2014 5:52 AM in response to kellyjdrummer

kellyjdrummer wrote:

I had thought the fall release of Yosemite would be a release candidate (baked.) Am I wrong? I know it's hard to know.

Through my years as a Windows user, I always waited at least a year after their OS releases before jumping on them.

There is no good answer anymore. All of the responses you have had in this thread are excellent. But Apple keeps changing the plan. I say wait until the 2nd minor release of Yosemite. The first 10.10.1 will be a bug fix release, probably within 3 weeks. The second will be a security update two weeks later. That is the point where it will probably be safe to install. You'll have a good 8 months of usage before having to worry about upgrading again. Also, this strategy applies to all releases, not just major ones. Apple doesn't do "bug fixes" like you may have been used to in the past. Builds 10.10.1, 10.10.2, etc. will be designed not to break any public interfaces, but that is as far as it goes. Otherwise, Apple is liable to change anything. The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" simply doesn't apply anymore. Wait a week or two after each incremental update to see if there are big changes. Since you are a heavy Photoshop user, always check the Adobe forums before updating the OS.

Aug 1, 2014 6:17 AM in response to kellyjdrummer

kellyjdrummer wrote:

Good deal. All three of you answered exactly as I was thinking.

To Csound1, I will never touch a beta of anything. I had thought the fall release of Yosemite would be a release candidate (baked.) Am I wrong? I know it's hard to know.

The fall release of Yosemite will be the official release.

Anything prior to the official release will be a release candidate or a GM.

A release candidate is not the official release.

It will be the first release.

Aug 1, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install Yosemite, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. Saves an erase and revert if you don't like it.

Not up on current events, eh? Just remember that reverting applies only to the files on your hard disk that make up the OS. Any changes you make to your own documents may be lost when you revert because Yosemite may change the file formats. Apple is doing an awful lot of that these days. That also applies to your documents in iCloud. We are all beta testers now, regardless of the official release date.

Aug 2, 2014 3:10 AM in response to etresoft

Etresoft makes a very important point. There will be changes to some data files resulting from the use of Yosemite, not all will be simply revertible so a complete backup from prior to the upgrade should be considered mandatory.

My method would be to install on an external drive and operate it 'in a vacuum' as it were.

Aug 3, 2014 2:21 PM in response to kellyjdrummer

I was considering upgrading and giving it a test drive on my new macbook. Only problem is, you dont get install discs anymore (yea, I'm old). I've been out of the OSX game for a while so I dont remember if Time Machine backs up everything or should I mirror my present drive as a backup? I could always go the route of booting from external I suppose. Suggestions?

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite or go for a new install of Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.