Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Able to Bypass Login Screen by Hitting ESC

After installing the most recent Mac OS X update (10.9.4), I put my macbook into sleep mode. Then I woke it by pressing any key (which then showed the login prompt), and to my surprise I was able to bypass the login prompt by just hitting the ESC key. I don't know if this was a behavior that existed prior to this update, but it seems like a serious problem! Has anyone else experienced this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Other OS

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 7:10 PM

8 replies

Jul 31, 2014 8:17 PM in response to Andy Z 03

Well, just tried it again and now it's not showing this behavior. It was only doing this with the escape key. The weird thing is after closer inspection the password is set to come on after 5 minutes after sleep, but it was showing the login immediately when I pressed a key after putting it to sleep (through the Apple menu). My guess is the login screen was being displayed prematurely and when I pressed escape it went back to sleep and when I touch the touch pad it woke up as usual (since it hadn't been 5 minutes yet).

Well, I can't reproduce it, so I guess thats it.

Mar 31, 2015 12:11 PM in response to ramananirudh

Hey Ramananirudh!

It seems to me that we were looking at this the wrong way. Rather than "bypassing the login screen" I think what's happening is that it's erroneously showing us the login screen.

http://na.re.sh.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com.chronic.menu/Screen%20Shot%20 2015-03-31%20at%201.05.34%20PM.png (large images wont load properly on this forum. right click >> open in new tab otherwise it probably wont load)

In System Preferences >> Security >> General there is a setting "Require password _______ after going to sleep". I had this set to 15 minutes. This behavior went away when I set it to immediately, or waited the 15 minute period. It never should have showed the login screen to begin with and because it did, we thought it was getting bypassed.

Does that make sense?

Naresh "Nash" Chandranatha

Able to Bypass Login Screen by Hitting ESC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.