Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading graphics card for Mac Pro Mid 2012

Hi,

I have a 6 core Mac Pro, the 5.1 model I think, or Mid 2012 with pretty much bad graphics for my purposes (ATI HD5770).

I thought of installing an AMD R9 295X2 into my Mac Pro, is this a really impossible and horrible idea?

The AMD R9 295X2 is very powerful and requires a lot of power, cooling, and space, which is hard to achieve in my Mac Pro, I have done a lot of research and found solutions for these however... are these solutions just very bad or is it actually possible?

Power: Apple says that the Mac Pro I have has "300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots" and the 295X2 requires 500W... My solution to this would be external power supply which wouldn't be a problem installing, however this would result in a big thing laying next to the computer etc. 🙂

Cooling: This also reflects on my space issue, the 295X2 comes with a big liquid cooling thing on it, attached with two hoses as seen below:User uploaded file

Would it be possible to fit that big thing inside? Or would I have to replace the current PCIe fan? If so, would it be a good idea? Either way, would the computer melt as a result of this?

In conclusion, would this actually work? or should I reconsider it and get a less massive card?

Thanks in advance

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 3:43 AM

14 replies

Aug 3, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Heraldo Jones

The issue isn't that the PSU is lacking, other than it just only has two 6-pin aux power connections. Which is why you can end up needing an 450W PSU designed with two sets of 6 and 8-pin cables, an "external" add on unit (some can go into the optical drive bays but then you have to snake the cables down into the gpu PCIe area). The case is not as open and flexible as say any PC tower will be.

Aug 3, 2014 11:32 AM in response to Qat_

you have to know what you are doing but it is not recommended or endorsed to "steal" and use those molex power sources for GPUs.

And it depends WHAT card and its requirements.

Folks on MacRumors have been tweaking cards voltage and memory to downclock and conserve power.

Seeing how a 4 cable 450W PSU is $30-70 that is the route I would take.

Aug 3, 2014 1:48 PM in response to The hatter

I'll probably go for the external PSU

What about cooling? Let say I get a 780 or a R9 290X and do a bit of overclocking, would the Mac Pro's fans be enough? I've heard that the AMD cards do not come with a very good cooling solution causing people to get one of those fan boards that you literally put on the graphics card, also sucking power?

Jul 18, 2015 3:38 AM in response to Qat_

I currently have a 2009 Mac Pro with quad-core Intel Xeon and 16gb of ram. I installed a 295x2 and I must say it works well. Under OS X it is recognized as a 290x, so crossfire is non-functional, but under windows I can use the card's full potential. I have it powered by a second PSU, an 800-watt EVGA modular supply, and I keep that outside of my case. This card works really great, it runs quiet and cool, and fits perfectly in my case. Plus 4k gaming at 60 fps is AWESOME. I highly recommend purchasing it.

http://i.imgur.com/wBEDNgw.jpg

Upgrading graphics card for Mac Pro Mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.