Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G4 no boot with constant sleep indicator light

My iMac G4 (A1058) wont boot up. I get no chime or picture. You can hear the fans going and the sleep indicator light is constantly on. Nothing unusual happened the last time it was on or anything. This is completely out of the blue and I'm not sure what's going on.
Thank you for your help

Spec:

2gb ram

1.8ghz ppc

80gb hdd

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 5:44 AM

3 replies

Aug 1, 2014 5:54 AM in response to SamskieAika

No iMac G4 is 1.8 Ghz. You may have an iMac G5.

The G4 is a Dome with an articulating silver arm behind the LCD that allows it to face every direction except to its rear.

The G5 is an L shaped stand. So assuming your spec is correct, it likely is a G5. PPC is PowerPC, which can be G3, G4, or G5.

Some Intel iMacs look like G5s on the outside, but the fact you got PPC, strongly leans towards your having a G5.

My guess is this thread may hold the answer:

iMac A1195 won't power up

To verify your machine age and model, see this tip:

How to find your Mac's model and age?

Aug 1, 2014 10:24 AM in response to SamskieAika

Ah, that's the Ambient Light Sensor model. So actually it is not the original iMac G5, but the second model to be released. Have you made sure the PRAM battery is under 5 years old, and checked this article to see what the number of flashes you are getting corresponds to

Power On Self-Test Beep Definition - Part 2

Note it says "on some computers the power LED will flash a corresponding number of times plus one. "

iMac G4 no boot with constant sleep indicator light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.