Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8.1 EFI on 2012 13" MBP

Two late 2013 rMBPs (15" and 13") with EFI Boot and 5.1.5621 work flawlessly with this and can switch between OSX and Windows via Startup Disk and Boot Camp Control panel.

The same implementation on a 13" MBP 2012 works, with some issues.

1. No sound.

2. External display via TB using DisplayPort will not see external monitor (Intel HD 400 GPU).

3. Startup Disk on OSX gives 'No bootable device' error, but Control Panel -Boot Camp on Windows side will switch to OSX without any issues.

4. Trackpad has minor issues.

All machines have the MSR partition. On the 2012 MBP, with the ALT key, the Windows partition shows up as EFI Boot and will boot Windows 8.1.

I have also tried the 2012 with Yosemite beta, but it makes no difference.

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 9:13 AM

14 replies

Feb 12, 2016 8:02 AM in response to Loner T

I have two internal disk. The SSD is in old HDD position, HDD is put at SuperDrive position. Now I can't install windows 10 from BootCamp(Black screen with a blinking cursor, or black screen with error message "no bootable device - insert..." when I uninstall my APPLE HDD).

I've tried EFI, but can't find sound card(sound issue). So I am still searching ways to install my windows 10 to HDD(so that two operating system at two disk).

User uploaded file

(In this shot, I just create a WIN10 partition, but not put anything to that.)

Feb 14, 2016 6:14 AM in response to Helpure

The issue is related to Macs prior to 2013 and their ability to support a standard called UEFI. Macs prior to Late 2013 models do not support UEFI fully. They expose Audio devices (and GPUs) properly if booted via legacy MBR/BIOS. 2012 models can install W10 in UEFI the way Apple handles it in the firmware. Your complication is the missing Optical drive.

Can you temporarily install an Optical drive to finish installing Windows?

Feb 29, 2016 4:00 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, Loner.

Now I put my Mac to its original configuration (put old hdd to may disk bay, optical drive back to its location), but things go my way, black screen with error message 'No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key'!

User uploaded file

Then I called apple support, they said it may be the image's problem, but I doubt that, because I installed win10 by using EFI boot way and it worked well, only missing sound card.

Now I got this problem again and again.

Why this black screen comes again when I use the original configuration?

Maybe this particular error message is not the problem of configuration, is it possible that I did something wrong in other aspects, but what?

Windows 8.1 EFI on 2012 13" MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.