Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook pro won't start

My macbook pro won't start. I press the power button and there is no chime, and the screen stays black. But the little light on the front of the laptop comes on and if I keep then the fan starts.. But no screen. I've held the power button down for five seconds to force quit, which it does, but upon reboot I still have a black screen, no startup chime and just the little light on the front and then the fan.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Here are my computer's details:

Configuration

• 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB

• 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

• SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

• Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adptr 065-0751 No VGA Adapter

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 9:12 AM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2014 9:11 AM in response to jerryfromelk grove

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

it sounds like your Mac has power but isn't displaying video. Take a look at the article linked below, it provides steps to resolve the issue through troubleshooting or service.

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1367

If your computer won't turn on, try each of these steps:

1. Verify you have a good connection from your Mac to the wall outlet by confirming the power cord and adapter if present are securely connected and plugged in. To check if the wall outlet is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.
  2. If the wall outlet is working and you continue to have no power try another power cord or adapter if available. If it works you may need a replacement cord or adapter.
    Note: See Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters for further troubleshooting with MagSafe adapters.
  3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged in to the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device.
  4. If your Mac supports user-installable memory, solid state drive, or hard drive, and you recently installed any of these, make sure they are installed correctly and are compatible with your computer. If possible, reinstall the original memory or drive into the computer to find out if the behavior persists afterwards.
  5. Reset the SMC.
  6. If you are still unable to start up your computer after trying each of these steps, visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for further diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).Note: Diagnostic fees may apply for issues not covered under warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

I hope this helps.

-Jason

My macbook pro won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.