Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro gets extremely hot when plugged in

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2011) which is mostly working fine, apart from when I have to charge it. When it's been on battery power and it gets low enough to show the battery warning, when I plug the adapter in, the corner of the laptop where the adapter goes gets extremely hot (almost too hot to touch), the fans spin up to maximum, and the machine slows down. It stays like that until it gets to about 40-50% charge, then it settles down again.

At this point I'm not convinced it's still the original laptop I bought, what with the number of parts that have been replaced in it. One of those is the logic board; the battery is reporting normal health so it seems like this issue could be a logic board problem.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 2:55 PM

2 replies

Aug 3, 2014 7:24 AM in response to jobbogamer

Not a good sign. Make certain that the connections for both the charger and the MBP are clean and free of any debris. Look for any discoloration. The charger connection has spring loaded pins. Make certain that they slide freely.

An Apple Hardware test may pick up useful information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Make an appointment at an Apple Store genius bar for a FREE evaluation.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro gets extremely hot when plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.