Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why such excessive data consumption with iPhone 5?

So, data consumption on the new iPhone 5 models with the newest iOS is tremendous. It is a major issue out there in the world. You can see it in forums everywhere.

What I want to know is WHY? Why is this the case?

Here are the answers I'm not interested in: I'm not interested in hearing about background apps, or updating in background or any of these things. In my experience, I have followed ALL of those - and other - suggestions and a simple truth remains: I have the exact same use habits as when I had my iPhone 4, but my data usage has become tremendous.

Also, my girlfriend who uses her phone on the cell network far FAR more than I has used 1/10 of the data use that I do in any given month. She is using an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

What is it about these phones that is destroying everybody's data plans and costing us a fortune? Once again, I have optimized all my settings and STILL my data use is shocking. From a developer's perspective or R&D or whatever... WHY?

-JH

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 4:15 PM

23 replies

Aug 1, 2014 5:05 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Finer points of semantics aside, it is common enough to be clogging up forums far and wide:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/814374?start=0&tstart=0

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/800750?start=0&tstart=0

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone/excessive-data-usage-iPhone-5 /m-p/288835#M9351

Re: iPhone 5 - Excessive data usage and data "bleed"

In fact, any google search of "data use iphone" will bring significant hits about data bleed and excessive data use.

Regarding the scope of the forums, I've encountered many savvy, highly technical, in-the-know, professional technologists here with tremendous insight. If I didn't think there was some insight here, I wouldn't have come.

Aug 1, 2014 5:12 PM in response to phospholipid77

phospholipid77 wrote:

Finer points of semantics aside, it is common enough to be clogging up forums far and wide:

I think it may be time for a refresher statistics course. You may specifically want to look at things like the number of iPhones sold versus complaints and usage statistics on forums including positive versus negative posts.

No one is denying that you may be having an issue. However, that is not indicative of a systemic problem.

Aug 1, 2014 5:32 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I'm actually a scientist by trade, and am well versed in statistics. So, with those criteria, I'd like to point out this statistical survey which notes a sharp increase with iPhone 5 users, specifically s and then c.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/14/report-flagship-apple-htc-samsung-phones-gobbli ng-more-mobile-data-than-tablets/

I would also, with those criteria, like to suggest that based on some of the curious forums I've read, the study makes the wrong conclusions about causation. The survey's wording suggests that the phone *users* are suddenly using more data when they buy the newest devices. However, my suspicion, based on some of what I've been seeing in discussion, is that the sharp increases in data have come with some population of the phones outright. It's a worthy consideration.

Now, apologists and kool-aid-drinkers aside, I wonder if anybody is interested in taking a real critical stab and what happened between the development of the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 that might be behind this issue.

Aug 1, 2014 6:08 PM in response to phospholipid77

I think most likely with newer versions of iOS app developers took advantage of new features, and thus their apps use more data. For example, with iOS 7 apps can choose to run in background, meaning they can update even if they don't receive notifications. You can enable or disable this feature for any app in Settings.

As a scientist, what research have you done specifically on your phone? For example, if you go to Settings/Cellular you can see exactly how much cellular data each app uses. Have your tracked this over a period of time to determine which apps are using those data? Phones don't use any data; it's apps on the phone that use data.

Aug 1, 2014 6:26 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

As a scientist, what research have you done specifically on your phone? For example, if you go to Settings/Cellular you can see exactly how much cellular data each app uses. Have your tracked this over a period of time to determine which apps are using those data? Phones don't use any data; it's apps on the phone that use data.

Yeah, I've been watching the apps closely. One of the things that's surprising is just how much data Safari uses. I do have background refresh turned off. And yet, I find Safari to be particularly consumptive. It eats easily 1G of data in 15 days, and that's with me trying very hard to moderate my use. So, I'm wondering why that is. With the same use habits I had with the 4, where I would rarely hit 250MB of data in a month, why is the new Safari using that much?

Aug 1, 2014 6:31 PM in response to phospholipid77

That's useful information. Safari in iOS 7 respects a site's autoupdate settings. So if you leave a page open that updates automatically it will use data even when the app isn't active. A simple example would be a page that displays rotating advertising. Try closing all pages before leaving the app and see if that makes a difference. Also, prior versions limited the number of open pages to 9. In iOS 7 there is no limit to the number of pages you can have open.

Aug 1, 2014 6:39 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

So, that's interesting and incredibly useful. So that I understand what you're saying: even if I turn off background refresh, iOS 7 Safari will give priority to a particular page's settings and keep that page refreshing. So, that page will, indeed, keep updating if that's how it's designed. Do I understand that right? So, for example, "I'll leave that tab open and come back to read it later," is sometimes/often *not* a good way to save data under the new settings.

Aug 1, 2014 6:43 PM in response to phospholipid77

phospholipid77 wrote:

So, data consumption on the new iPhone 5 models with the newest iOS is tremendous. It is a major issue out there in the world. You can see it in forums everywhere.

False.

What I want to know is WHY? Why is this the case?

If that's happening to you, then it's something specific to your device and what's running on it.

Here are the answers I'm not interested in: I'm not interested in hearing about background apps, or updating in background or any of these things. In my experience, I have followed ALL of those - and other - suggestions and a simple truth remains: I have the exact same use habits as when I had my iPhone 4, but my data usage has become tremendous.

Then you may as well go somewhere else, because you're not going to hear anything you're interested in here.

What is it about these phones that is destroying everybody's data plans and costing us a fortune? Once again, I have optimized all my settings and STILL my data use is shocking. From a developer's perspective or R&D or whatever... WHY?

What is it about people who come here and rant about how horrible things are, and refuse to do any basic troubleshooting?

Don't talk to us about "optimizing" your settings. Run through the basics.

Reboot.

Restore.

Restore as new. Do NOT restore your backup. If it still eats data after setting it up as a new phone, then take it in to have it looked at. Something is wrong with your phone.

Aug 1, 2014 7:08 PM in response to KiltedTim

Who said I didn't do basic troubleshooting?

I've had this issue since I got the 5. I've done all the rebooting, restoring, resetting, refreshing, re-installing, starting from scratch, and making sure it's plugged in that a person can do. Those are worthy suggestions and all, but I'm not entirely a neophyte. By optimizing my settings, I meant following the line that Verizon and/or AT&T gives out which is basically shutting down background refresh ad limiting what apps notify and use data, etc. So, no, that wasn't really an outrageous or glib statement.

Also, it's not false. I've provided plenty of evidence that it is a problem for plenty, if not many. If you want to believe otherwise, fine. But, please do a search or, at a minimum, read that statistical survey. They are poor in their conclusions, but their sense of the numbers is sound.

Also also, I wasn't ranting. I was looking for back-end possibilities and solid critical conversation for what I think is a surprising development in the life of the iPhone. Sure, I used hyperbolic language about my data plan. But, I assumed we could be creative readers.

And one more also... Lawrence Fitch did indeed provide me with insight that was not part of those categories I listed. And it was good insight, indeed. And I would love more of that.

Sep 8, 2014 3:12 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I'm having the same issue, did the same searches, and am finding the same kind of answers from the techno geeks, no help. Our plan usage went through the roof when my daughter switched from Android to iPhone5. I have an Android. I use less than 1GB a month, and my daughter is now up to 11Gb, and I have been adding at a rate of about 2Gb a week. I could buy a new car for what I pay in cell phone service. Now my son wants an iPhone. I'm frustrated that neither Verizon or Apple seems to be able to resolve this problem, but I'm at the point now that I'm considering abandoning both the iPhone and Verizon and opting for an unlocked/contract free Android for all of us. It would be stupid to tell my teenager and tweenie to constantly change their settings to compensate for the Verizon/iPhone FUBAR issue that only seems to be making everyone money at the customers expense.

Sep 8, 2014 3:30 PM in response to MammaHawk65

It's not a FUBAR issue. It's you not being familiar with how to set up controls and restrictions on the device. The options are there for you to use. You being ignorant of those options isn't Apple's fault. But ignorance is curable, with information.

Go to Settings > Cellular > Reset Statistics. Start from here, and use it to monitor what apps are using the cellular data. Disable any apps that use more cellular data than you want, so those apps only use wi-fi. In fact, for your children, simply disable all the apps from using Cellular Data (other than what you approve). Don't allow Netflix or YouTube to use cellular data. Heck, don't even allow Safari to use cellular data. They can still use wi-fi for any data they need, and it doesn't interfere with text messages or phone calls.

Use the Restrictions function (Settings > General > Restrictions) to disable the ability to toggle those apps on/off for cellular data, as well as other features such as installing or deleting apps, making in-app purchases, viewing adult content, etcetera. My son's iPhone is set up so that he only has Messages & Mail that can use cellular data. He cannot install or delete an application. He cannot change or modify the emails accounts on his device including the iCloud Account. His Safari usage is limited to very specific websites. He can't even go to Google to 'look something up'. He can go to pbskids.org, www.nick.com, and a few other age-appropriate websites. How did I do this??? I've used the options, features and tools that Apple has provided.

Apple provides you with options to monitor the cellular data usage, limit the cellular data usage, and as a parent, to restrict the cellular data usage.

Use these options.

And Apple doesn't make a dime on your cellular data usage.

Sep 8, 2014 7:00 PM in response to MammaHawk65

MammaHawk65 wrote:

I'm frustrated that neither Verizon or Apple seems to be able to resolve this problem,

If your daughter is unable to control her own data usage, Verizon will most certainly be able to assist you with that. They have a service that will allow you to place limits on her usage. It's called Family Base and it's $5/month, if I recall correctly.

Why such excessive data consumption with iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.