Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Complicated password reset question

I have just about given up trying to regain access to my Leopard Server, which some time ago stopped recognizing my password - and any password - and no reset options seem to actually reset the password.

So I thought I'd at least log on to the main non-server computer and make sure my data was there, figure out some alternative backup scheme since my Time Machine won't work without the server, etc.

I discover that I can no longer log on to the local computer as an admin user. I can log on as a standard user, but I cannot reset the password for the admin user.

When I use the install disk and reset the password for that admin user, it claims to have reset it...but in fact, it does not recognize the password when I try and log on as the admin user (or when I try from the standard user to reset the user password for that user through system prefs/accounts...won't unlock without that admin password).

Can it be that somehow the admin user on this computer, since it is a networked machine, still needs to validate the network password even though I am just trying to get access to the local machine? If so, then every computer on my network is essentially toast because the server has locked everything out.

(As an aside: I can see from a command-line ls of the server computer that all of the files appear to be there...it's just that no user can access them. so it's not as if the server's HD is gone).

Do I have any other options...other than to try and do a file-by-file recovery to removable media, wipe all network computers, and start over?

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 3:44 PM

10 replies

Aug 2, 2014 8:51 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the response BDAqua! it's OSX 10.5 on the server. I don't have filevault activated. I've tried the command-line versions from ctrl-S startup mode; I've tried the password reset option from the install disk...each allows me to reset the password in theory and then refuses to acknowledge it when I try to log in. I even tried one recommendation to install a new localadmin user over the top but that doesn't work either. It's as if somehow the location where the password is stored is somehow corrupted so it can't be written or read. Extremely frustrating. It's great when you have everything Time machine backed up to the server...until the server is inaccessible! I have spent about a month on this so far and only recently tried to log in to a local computer to see what data is local on it...and found I cannot log in there either.

Aug 3, 2014 7:29 AM in response to BDAqua

Not yet...I need to recover the files before I blank everything! And there's enough data that cp *.* isn't going to really work. It's a very long project I think. :-(

It just boggles my mind that there could ever be a situation where a password is simply not recoverable under any circumstances...but that seems to be the case here. I'm hoping that one of these Apple wizards will have a magic bullet for me...

Complicated password reset question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.