Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making compound clip adds unwanted black between clips

I have a 2 minute psa that was shot in HD on the NX5 and edited on FCPX. I needed to put it together with other PSAs to make a longer show so I selected all the clips on the timeline and made a ‘compound clip’. The compound clip looks like one clip on the timeline and it should be able to be copied to another timeline. When I watched it back though, FCPX had introduced flash frames of black in between all of the cuts on the timeline, throwing all of the titles out of whack as well. Why did this happen?

User uploaded file

1. Original Storyline

User uploaded file

2. Original storyline made into a compound clip.

User uploaded file

3. When I play it back I get flash frames in-between each clip so i checked the compound clip and found that it introduced black between each clip.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 7:20 PM

3 replies

Dec 22, 2017 3:50 PM in response to David Quinn Carder

This worked for me,

I had natural gaps that I put in place but if you hold down Command while clicking the gaps I want to keep in the timeline, they de-select. That way when you delete the gaps you don't delete those you want to keep.

Also *** after you do this, any audio that was detached from the video will no longer be in sync. The fix is to move it back with the Snap feature enabled. This is manual and time consuming but its still better than hunting for all the gaps manually.

Thank you for this feedback, it really saved me hours!

Sean

Sep 5, 2014 5:21 PM in response to jgalicin

I ran into this problem too and found a quick solution that may work for anyone who encounters this bug.

THE PROBLEM: In one of my Projects, when creating a compound clip of the entire Project (so that I could apply Project-wide color and audio correction), gaps were inexplicably added to certain cuts. I don't know why. I first tried to work around this by exporting a Master File, but this also created the same gaps. Ugh.

THE SOLUTION: Duplicate your Project and in the duplicate, select all and create a compound clip. After creating the compound clip, double-click the compound clip in the Event Browser. This will open the compound clip, with all its bits and pieces exposed, in the Timeline. Go to the bottom-left corner of the Timeline and click the little button there to open the Timeline Index. Do a search for "gap". Select all the results in the list and press the delete key.

NOTE: Don't forget to duplicate your original Project (before creating a compound clip with the duplicate) so that you have it as a reference and a backup in case something goes wrong. I have not carefully analyzed this glitch and am not 100% sure this workaround is bulletproof. I also am not sure what is causing the OP's titles to be "thrown out of whack" as I didn't have that particular issue, so this "fix" may not actually fix that part of the problem.

Making compound clip adds unwanted black between clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.